Predator XB271HU wrong resolution

andersqf
andersqf Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited February 16 in 2018 Archives
I got a new screen ( Acer Predator XB271HU ) with resolution 2560*1440 but it is only registered as a generic pnp monitor. My problem is that the  display (recommended) setting is 1920*1080 and there is no bigger option.

I have not found  Acer has no new driver. However, I could download the cat, icm and inf files and in the XB271HU.inf file, the resolution is given as 2560*1440.

Answers

• andersqf

Tinkerer

Sorry, I mean I found no new driver. I suppose it would not help as my computer (Windows 10) does not recognize the model.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,815 Trailblazer
    What port are you using?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • andersqf

Tinkerer

I use HDMI, my computer is old and has no DP. I had a DVI monitor, same size, same resolution, working fine until it started flickering.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited May 2018
    Pro Tip:

Read the review and do 3 minutes of research before you buy.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/18/acer-predator-xb271hu-gaming-monitor-review

The review clearly states that the monitor has two video inputs.  HDMI and Display Port.  If you use HDMI, you're stuck with 60 Hz.

As to why you're only getting the lower resolution.  IDK.   You might want to disconnect your old monitor and only use the new monitor.  Make sure you're using the HDMI cable that came with the monitor (if it came with one).  You can try a different HDMI cable if necessary.   Generic PnP is perfectly normal.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • andersqf

Tinkerer

Hello and thanks for your answer. I just ordered a new computer, my old is 5 years old, might be part of the problem. (An new Asus VivoPC M32CD-K-NR062T. I don't play games so an Acer Predator monitor was overkill. To me, most things for sale is overkill. I think I have checked so I get what I need.)

• JordanB
    Ok good deal.  I'm starting to wonder if I should have bought ASUS myself.  ASUS is really good about long term support of the BIOS/UEFI. 
  • andersqf

Tinkerer

Hello JordanB.
    Just for your information. I am not sure whom to blame, Acer or Microsoft. My new Acer screen works perfectly on my new Asus PC. My old (Philips) screen works fine with my old (Dell) PC, no more flicker since I changed from DVI to HDMI connection. However, display resolution now is given as 1920 x 1200 and I cannot change it (the Acer screen on Dell gave 1920 x 1080). The picture is crisp and I can use all of the screen, with only two minor annoyances. When I reconnected the old screen some desktop shortcuts I had kept at the bottom were placed two inches to high (easily remedied), and on boot I get an irritating pop-up asking me to change screen resolution (which I can't). Very mysterious. I'll probably keep my old PC and screen as backup.

• JordanB
    Ok, I think you should call Acer.

https://www.acer.com/worldwide/