Acer XF250Q Black screen flashing (video inside)

thrakas
thrakas Member Posts: 1 New User

So for awhile now, my Acer XF250Q 240hz monitor has been having this black screen issue while gaming. It'll flash black randomly, then come back. Sometimes it does it once, others, like in this video, it won't stop (this was about a full minute of flashing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD1ToM6BBJY

So here's the details. Monitor is maximum 3 months old, GPU is less than 30 days old (EVGA 1060 3gb) plugged in via display port, and it did this with my previous gpu (MSI 750ti) plugged in via hdmi. This issue happens mostly in my games, but it'll do it on the homescreen sometimes, and as you can see, I am not getting tabbed out, as I can still move and shoot/whatever while it's doing this. Something to note is my Windows 7 copy is unregistered and it gives me some annoyances, do not know if this could be related (not a pirated copy, I purchased a windows 7 ultimate boxed edition for my previous PC and could never get the license to transfer over, says invalid license key)

Things I've tried to fix this so far are just driver updating, and going to older drivers. I've also messed with my CPU voltage a bit and thought maybe my voltage is too low and my OC is unstable, not sure on that one yet.

I have read that it could be a monitor issue, a display port cable issue, or a power supply issue, but I do not know if spending $70 + on a new power supply without knowing what to do is the right move.

One more thing to note is that one time, it would not stop doing this flashing , and on top of this there was a strange noticeable "artifact" or perhaps "tear" even on my desktop homescreen ( i have a video of this also if people need to see ) what I did to fix this was changing my refresh rate in Nvidia Control Panel to 144hz, then back to 240hz and it stopped.

This is about all the info I have, any insight would be appreciated. Do I need to RMA this? Thanks.

Answers

• MrBluePlaydoh
    MrBluePlaydoh Member Posts: 2 New User
    No help thats good im about to return my monitor doing the same thing as your and getting a ROG Swift never had a problem with them but my first Acer monitor nothing but problems and no support
  • Forkie
    Forkie Member Posts: 1 New User
    TaDaa said:
    Had the same issue with xf250q... I finally have resolved it (no black screen in over a week with freesync enabled in fullscreen games).  I believe the issue is in the Acer driver for the monitor.  Originally I needed to install the Acer driver because freesync was disabled in the generic pnp monitor driver from Windows 7.

I believe what has fixed it was installing Toastyx CRU, saving some modifications to the monitor configuration and then uninstalling the Acer driver (reinstalling the generic pnp driver).  Happy to say I now have freesync enabled with the generic driver, the colors look sharper (not sure why), and no black screens.

bro, can you send me a link of how to do the steps to reinshall the generic pnp drive please, I am quite confused here, thanks in advance. 

• Sdsban
    Sdsban Member Posts: 2 New User
    Have you fixed it yet? If yes, let me know please. I read somewhere, that you would need a DisplayPort 1.4 HBM3 8k cable. Maybe that would fix it but I dunno why
  • Blick231
    Blick231 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Shameful embarrassing moderators deleting useful solutions
  • Hptheone
    Hptheone Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just had this same issue today. It won't hold the 240 rate then flickers out.
  • Druct
    Druct Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having the same issue, I'm on a gaming laptop, have it connected by an HDMI 2.0..rlly need help ASAP