ACER VX 15 BSOD after Windows 10 April 2018 update.

keshav_c17
keshav_c17 Member Posts: 51 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
So i recently updated my laptop Aspire VX 15 to Windows 10 April update and now at every boot BSOD occurs and error name is Critical Process Died. I have tried every method to fresh install update but BSOD still there. Lastly i tried clean install but no change in the error. Somehow i managed to roll back to Windows 10 version 1709 fall creators update and now it's stable. So definitely its the problem with the new update, i think it's not compatible with VX 15 in some way. I also found that spaceport.sys and bootres.dll gets corrupted in latest update and BSOD occurs everytime system gets rebooted. ACER will fix this or its a problem from Microsoft? Help.

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    How did you to rollback to 1709 without a screen? Did you HDMI to a TV? If you're sure it's a problem with the new update, did the update come from ACER or Microsoft? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• keshav_c17
    JackE said:
    How did you to rollback to 1709 without a screen? Did you HDMI to a TV? If you're sure it's a problem with the new update, did the update come from ACER or Microsoft? Jack E/NJ
    Hello,
    Its a feature update by Microsoft for Windows 10 which they are calling "Windows 10 April" update its version is 1803. And i am able to reach the desktop for few seconds and sometimes for few minutes. sometimes at the lockscreen itself BSOD occurs. its quite inconsistent. Sometimes within 5 seconds of boot BSOD occurs and sometimes it takes 5-10 mins. When i try sfc /scannow command after few minutes it gives error “Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation” and soon after that BSOD occurs. even in the safe mode. But in safe mode if i dont run SFC command then computer remains stable and in that mean time i managed to make a bootable USB with Windows 10 version 1709. I found in the logs that two system files gets corrupted in the Windows 10 version 1803 update, "spaceport.sys" and "bootres.dll" and none of the repair features of windows are able to solve the problem.
  • JackE
    >>>Its a feature update by Microsoft for Windows 10 which they are calling "Windows 10 April" update its version is 1803.>>> its quite inconsistent.>>>

You should probably try to at least temporarily block 1803 till Microsoft fixes it. Go here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• keshav_c17
    edited May 2018
    JackE said:
    You should probably try to at least temporarily block 1803 till Microsoft fixes it. Go here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window
    Jack E/NJ

Okay, well i have already blocked that update. I am wondering if other users of ACER VX 15 are also facing this problem or i am alone. Should i post this issue in Microsoft Windows forum also ? Will my laptop ever be able to run the new update smoothly ? Who is responsible for this issue ACER or Microsoft as there are many machines running this version 1803 smoothly without any issue. I am quite concerned. Only a year passed by since i bought this laptop. Also can you please change the category of laptop of this post , it should be in Nitro and Aspire gaming forum.
  • siny79
    siny79 Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    keshav_c17, I own VX15 as well. Installed the update two days ago (or so) and didn't experience any BSODs. Or any other problems.
    Hope You find a solution to Your problem soon.

Cheers!
  • keshav_c17
    siny79 said:
    keshav_c17, I own VX15 as well. Installed the update two days ago (or so) and didn't experience any BSODs. Or any other problems.

Cheers!
    thanks for the clarification. I'm working on this problem trying every possible method of installation but till now none of them worked. I have posted this problem on Microsoft forum also and getting good amount of feedback, lets see if I'LL be able to make it or not.
  • nakabo
    nakabo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Have a Helios 300 same issue. Watching youtube bsod constantly. had to roll back to 1709
  • keshav_c17
    nakabo said:
    Have a Helios 300 same issue. Watching youtube bsod constantly. had to roll back to 1709
    now I'm gonna wait for the upcoming Cumulative update of May and then i will try upgrading to version 1803 once again. This is the worst experience of mine with Windows 10.
  • keshav_c17
    edited May 2018
    siny79 said:

Cheers!
    Hello there,
    Will you please tell me about the specifications of your model especially the SSD you are using. Mine is i7-7700HQ, RAM 16GB, GTX 1050Ti with 256 GB Intel SSD 600p series. Can you please tell me these specs of your laptop? Also tell me the version of your BIOS. I need this information in order to solve this problem. 
    Thank you.
  • keshav_c17
    nakabo said:
    Hello, what model of SSD does your Helios 300 have? Is it Intel SSD 600p ? It seems like BSOD is related to SSD.
  • keshav_c17
    edited May 2018 Answer ✓
    Hello everyone,
    So the problem is Intel SSD 600p, it is incompatible as of now with the new windows 10 version 1803 update. Intel and Microsoft are working together to solve this issue. 
    Users of same are advised to stick with Windows 10 version 1709 until a patch is not made available for this issue.

Sources:
    1. http://www.legitreviews.com/windows-10-april-update-blocked-on-small-number-of-intel-ssds-due-to-issues_205242
    2. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-update-intel-ssd,37020.html
  • JackE
    Good update & info @keshav_c17 ! Thanks. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• djelano_23
    djelano_23 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey keshav_c17

I also have the acer vx15, I have the same problem as you have. I am running it now on the old windows 10 (1709) and it's working fine with it.

My friend has also this laptop and has the same issues, so you are not the only one :/.

Sorry for the late post. 

• keshav_c17

Hey keshav_c17

I also have the acer vx15, I have the same problem as you have. I am running it now on the old windows 10 (1709) and it's working fine with it.

My friend has also this laptop and has the same issues, so you are not the only one :/.

Sorry for the late post. 

Hello there,

So few days back i performed a clean install of Windows 10 version 1803 using bootable USB and my system crashed 5-6 times during the startup windows 10 set-up. I wasnt even able to reach the desktop bcoz of the crashes. But after few more tries my system reached to the desktop ( was lucky enough) and i have already saved the Microsoft Patch KB4100403 which is for Intel SSD 600p on my other hard drive, as soon as i reached the desktop i rushed to the Patch file and updated my system. Thanks to god that it didnt crashed in between of the update. Now the patch is installed and my system is running smooth on Windows 10 version 1803. It was my worst experience with Microsoft Windows. I wonder how others will able to install this patch as the system is crashing right after the system boots up leaves no time for installation of the patch.

Good Luck to all those people.

• JackE
    Thanks again @keshav_c17  Are you prepared to help us for the next major Win10 update?  :)  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• keshav_c17
    JackE said:
    Thanks again @keshav_c17  Are you prepared to help us for the next major Win10 update?  :)  Jack E/NJ
    Sure, I am here to help the community in the way it is possible for me. :)
  • Lumativ
    Lumativ Member Posts: 1 New User
    I seem to have a similar issue. My audio driver was messed up after the update and I couldnt use my Mic headset. Tried to get it to come through to no avail. Rebooted and now it freezes on startup. Cannot get into Windows, freezes at login, black screen sometimes at boot, cant get into a recovery. My ssd m2 is the hynix drive.
  • keshav_c17
    Lumativ said:
    I seem to have a similar issue. My audio driver was messed up after the update and I couldnt use my Mic headset. Tried to get it to come through to no avail. Rebooted and now it freezes on startup. Cannot get into Windows, freezes at login, black screen sometimes at boot, cant get into a recovery. My ssd m2 is the hynix drive.
    Till now, i have faced BSOD or freezing issue at login due to two reasons and fortunately they are now solved : 
    1. Due to incompatiblity of Intel SSD 600p with Windows 10 version 1803 (microsoft has released the patch)
    2. Due to Nvidia Driver v397.93 (Nvidia has released the patch file)

Your SSD is different, i dont think it is the problem. Check your Nvidia driver if you have recently updated it to v397.93. Also audio drivers can be reinstalled, just remove them first from Device Manager and download and install driver from your laptop support page. You can try thinking of changes you made to the system after which you are facing this issue. System restore is an option. To boot into recovery menu you can try pressing F8 at the start when acer logo is displayed.

• Regular_newUser
    Regular_newUser Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited June 2018
    I also happen to come across the same issue. But, I can't even install the update. It got stuck at 45% and then a BSOD. For some stupid reason, all the previous updates have also been failed to install on my system. For this reason, I don't even have last years fall creators update(I'm still on build 1607). Any help would mean a lot guys. My vx15 config is i7 with 1050ti.