Can I disable the Intel HD Graphics 630 in order to force NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050?

martinarial
martinarial Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I just received my brand new ACER Nitro 5 laptop and after finishing up its configuration I tried to play a 10GB 4K UHD 2160p movie file but it doesn't play well at all, like not enough power to play it, stops and jumps all the time...yet I've played this file without problems on a much less powerful DELL Inspiron machine with an AMD A12-9700p processor. When I look at the Device Manager I notice that there are 2 display adapters in the list, namely Intel HD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050? I'm thinking the Intel HD 630, although it offers 4GB memory, is the one having trouble playing this movie file and I'm hoping the NVIDIA GeForce adapter would do a better job at handling this movie file. My question is this: if I disable the Intel adapter in Device Manager, will the system automatically be forced to use the NVIDIA adapter? I'm asking prior to going ahead with this because I fear all video displays will go away if I disable the Intel adapter, then I'll really be in trouble. Thanks in advance! PS: The Nitro 5 laptop has 8GB RAM and the DELL Inspiron has 12GB RAM.

Answers

• TechSaavy
    TechSaavy Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter

Hi There,

Nowadays by default most of the laptops will have two display adapters installed. One can consider as on board and another one as PCI card however it is designed to switch automatically according to the usage. There is no need to force stop it in if you have issues with the 4K videos kindly check software which plays it.

Regards,

TechSaavy

Hit "Like" if i answered your question 

• martinarial
    martinarial Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for the lightning response!
    I took a chance and disabled the Intel adapter (in Device Manager) and the screen immediately switched to the NVIDIA adapter...screen resolution changed and all settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel took effect...the 4K UHD movie file then played just fine! One thing I noticed though is that while using the NVIDIA adapter, all icons and mouse cursor disappeared from my laptop's screen, leaving only the wallpaper, but they were all present and working good on my Samsung TV screen (my laptop is always connected to my TV screen via HDMI cable)...after I reverted back to the Intel adapter (by simply re-enabling it in Device Manager), it took over display functions by switching back to its original resolution and all icons & mouse cursor reappeared on my laptop's screen...so all in all, I find this "use as needed" functionality really awesome! 
  • Tacoman
    Tacoman Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited November 2018
    You dont have to disable your intel graphics card. Right click on your desktop, go to nvidea settings, manage 3d settings, and set your preferred graphics processor to "high-performance NVIDIA processor". 

Just bought this laptop too and found this to make my games run soo much better with this change. Hope this helps. :)
  • kristof
    kristof Member Posts: 1 New User
    I did the same thing on my laptop, disabled the intel graphics card but after than I cannot open the nvidia control panel because its says there are no gpu connected or something. what did i wrong?