Predator G9-592 - Power Surge on USB port (Windows 10)

MwPRaZfv
MwPRaZfv Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi all,

I have ran into an issue with the USB ports on the left hand side of my laptop. They are none functional and fairly often get stuck in a loop notifying me of a "power surge on USB port".

It seemingly happened out of nowhere with nothing plugged into the USB port, I have opened the laptop up and can't see any obvious hardware fault.I have tried uninstalling the drivers though when running the "Chipset_Intel_10.1.1.13_W10x64_A" the install completion ends in a blue screen, error reporting and a system reboot which as far as I can tell has windows just reinstall the default "most up to date" drivers.

I'm in two minds as to whether this is a hardware of software issue, can anyone with a working Predator g9-592 kindly tell me which USB drivers they are currently using? I currently have "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft) 10.0.16299.251".

I have contacted Acer Support, but the quote for the out of warranty hardware repair was £77 for the assessment and then whatever the cost of the repair would be, which if it turns out to be a motherboard replacement is likely going to be fairly pricey and perhaps not worth the cost. 

So if anyone has any information on this issue or experience with the pricing on similar repairs I would be very happy to hear from you.

Thanks

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi, 

Fix “Power surge on the USB port” error on Windows 10

Many users reported that the error “Power surge on the USB port: A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port” pops up on their Windows 10 when they insert a USB drive into the PC. No worry! It’s not such a difficult problem to solve as it sounds like. Follow the quick solutions here, get the error gone easily.

Solution 1. Run the Hardware Troubleshooter

1)
    Type troubleshoot in the search box and click Troubleshoot on the top result.

2)
    Scroll down on the right pane of the pop-up window.
    Find and click Hardware and Devices.
    Then click Run the troubleshooter.

3)
    Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting.

Solution 2. Reinstall your USB controllers software

1)
    Unplug your USB device from Windows 10.

2)
    On your keyboard, press Windows key + X key together to open quick-access menu.
    Then click Device Manager to open it.

3)
    Find and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers dialog.
    Then right-click on your USB controllers one by one to choose Uninstall device.

4)
    Reboot your Window 10 and let Microsoft reinstall the USB controllers software for you. 
    Then connect your USB with Windows 10 and check if the error still occur.

:) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• MwPRaZfv
    MwPRaZfv Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi Balatekie,

Thanks for the reply, however as stated above I have already attempted re-installing the windows 10 drivers. I am interested in speaking to anyone who owns this laptop and any info on the particular driver they currently have installed as a means to find if it is a driver issue.