Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

SP513-52N-53Y6: Is the M.2 Slot PCIe NVMe compatible? Can I use a 1 TB SSD?

Hello,

I have an Acer Spin 5 (SP513-52N-53Y6) with a 256 GB m.2 SATA SSD. I would like to exchange it with a 1 TB one. Can I choose a PCIe NVMe one such as the Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB or the new Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB or do I have to go for a SATA one such as the Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB or the Western Digital Blue 3D Nand 1 TB? A screenshot of HWINFO64 is attached. I'm using Ubuntu 17.10 (and soon 18.04), in case it matters.

Note: I do not require the SSD to perform at the higher PCIe speeds in this laptop, SATA 3 speed would be fine. The reason is that I intend to buy a more powerful laptop later this year and am going to transfer the SSD into the new laptop, but I need the storage capacity now in this machine.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• yellowdustyellowdust Posts: 4 New User
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks for your answer!

Short result: Samsung EVO 960 1 TB (PCIe NVMe) works.

Longer version: Acer support had stated that PCIe NVMe SSDs should work without any capacity restriction. Answers in forums were mixed, with no definite result (i.e., practical experience) in either direction. So I bought a Samsung EVO 960 1 TB (MZ-V6E1T0BW) and agreed with the seller that I could exchange (undamaged, within 14 days) if it turns out to be incompatible.

Installing the hardware was a matter of minutes.

I installed both Windows 10 Home and Ubuntu 18.04 in dual boot with grub and both installations were no problem. Note, though, that I've been running these installations for less than 24 hours and am mostly using Ubuntu.

According to AS SSD and Crystal Disk Mark the Samsung EVO 960 is indeed faster. I don't know which part of that speed up is due to SATA vs PCIe NVMe and which part is due to other factors such as capacity and/or faster controller. HWINFO64 suggests that it might only be using 2 lanes but I didn't dig into that (and do not intend to do so).

Screenshots for the old 256 GB Micron SATA SSD:

Screenshots for the new 1 TB Samsung EVO 960 PCIe NVMe SSD:

Hope that helps, thanks again!

FAQ & Answers

• brummyfan2brummyfan2 Posts: 10,826ACE Trailblazer
    Hi,
    You might be able to use a NVMe SSD, Acer recommends M.2 SATA SSD but the review and others have stated that NVMe ssd is compatible.
    https://www.ultrabookreview.com/17701-acer-spin-5-sp513-52n-review/
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/541522/which-ssd-drive-do-i-purchase-to-upgrade-my-spin-5-sp513-52n-552k-to-1tb-from-256gb

• yellowdustyellowdust Posts: 4Member New User
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks for your answer!

Short result: Samsung EVO 960 1 TB (PCIe NVMe) works.

Longer version: Acer support had stated that PCIe NVMe SSDs should work without any capacity restriction. Answers in forums were mixed, with no definite result (i.e., practical experience) in either direction. So I bought a Samsung EVO 960 1 TB (MZ-V6E1T0BW) and agreed with the seller that I could exchange (undamaged, within 14 days) if it turns out to be incompatible.

Installing the hardware was a matter of minutes.

I installed both Windows 10 Home and Ubuntu 18.04 in dual boot with grub and both installations were no problem. Note, though, that I've been running these installations for less than 24 hours and am mostly using Ubuntu.

According to AS SSD and Crystal Disk Mark the Samsung EVO 960 is indeed faster. I don't know which part of that speed up is due to SATA vs PCIe NVMe and which part is due to other factors such as capacity and/or faster controller. HWINFO64 suggests that it might only be using 2 lanes but I didn't dig into that (and do not intend to do so).

Screenshots for the old 256 GB Micron SATA SSD:

Screenshots for the new 1 TB Samsung EVO 960 PCIe NVMe SSD:

Hope that helps, thanks again!
  • brummyfan2brummyfan2 Posts: 10,826ACE Trailblazer
    You are welcome and thanks for posting the results :)
  • frcabotfrcabot Posts: 8Member New User
    Those are indeed NVMe speeds (as SATA would be limited to 600MB/s), but it does seem like it is using only 2 lanes rather than 4 lanes, as your speeds are roughly half what they should be (normal speeds would be about 3-3.5GB/s, you are getting roughly half that).