What to do to avoid overheating in acer predator 15?

MO_GAD
MO_GAD Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
So I just got my Acer predator 15 g9....and first thing I did was swap out my dvd tray for my extra fan so what do i need to make it work...like do I need to do something or does it work automatically..
And what should I do to avoid overheating? Undervolt perhaps?

Answers

• asad814
    asad814 Member Posts: 371 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    what are the avg tempts you get while gaming???
  • MO_GAD
    asad814 said:
    what are the avg tempts you get while gaming???
    Something is off...I was playing fortnite on ultra settings and got 85 degrees for the cpu...45 for the gpu and the system itself is at 34 degrees
    Right now am not doing anything just browsing and the cpu is at 90 degrees but the gpu and system are both at 40 and 34
    The cpu drops to 80 and pops back to 90 tho
  • Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited April 2018
    First you need to establish what's driving up the temperature, look at the CPU activity in task manager and what process is running, as surfing the web is unlikely to drive the CPU into the 90's centigrade, maybe a background AV scan.  The FrostCore (3rd fan) is fully automatic and basically just helps to cool the motherboard with little to no impact to CPU & GPU temps.  I have it installed in my Predator 17 G9-793 as it does make a difference under heavy loads and high ambient temperature.

Notebook needs to be on a flat surface and elevate the rear, look at the posts at the top of the forum and undervolt the CPU with ThrottleStop.  You can get a little more reduction by turning on CoolBoost at (Acer Quick Access) it will allow the fans to spool up more as required.

There's a lot of variables that can drive up the CPU temp, trick is working out which one.  DL ThrottleStop, fully shut down the notebook (hold Shift key when select shutdown).  Start the notebook and let it settle for 5-10 minutes, note the ambient temp (if possible), the idle temp, open ThrottleStop and click on TS Bench, now click on 1024M let the benchmark run and observe the temperatures.

Now you can post back with a baseline, TS Bench is not a very strenuous benchmark, however it will run all cores of the CPU at 100% although it probably wont push CPU frequency to the max.  Once you have a baseline you can then look to undervolting the CPU assuming there's nothing wildly out of place.  If it's running overly hot it can only be a software and or hardware issue, and in my experience they can be fixed or at very least mitigated.

FWIW - G9-793
    7700HQ, 32Gb, GTX 1070, Ambient 24C/25C, idle 34C/36C TSBench 63C, be mindful this is a 17" with a higher TDP, so it should run cooler than the 15"

Q-6
  • asad814
    asad814 Member Posts: 371 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    if your laptop has warranty then send it to acer for repasting or you can undervolt you cpu using throttlestop this will have massive effect on temperatures...have a nice day!!!
  • MO_GAD
    Queen6 said: 
    First you need to establish what's driving up the temperature, look at the CPU activity in task manager and what process is running, as surfing the web is unlikely to drive the CPU into the 90's centigrade, maybe a background AV scan.  The FrostCore (3rd fan) is fully automatic and basically just helps to cool the motherboard with little to no impact to CPU & GPU temps.  I have it installed in my Predator 17 G9-793 as it does make a difference under heavy loads and high ambient temperature.

Notebook needs to be on a flat surface and elevate the rear, look at the posts at the top of the forum and undervolt the CPU with ThrottleStop.  You can get a little more reduction by turning on CoolBoost at (Acer Quick Access) it will allow the fans to spool up more as required.

There's a lot of variables that can drive up the CPU temp, trick is working out which one.  DL ThrottleStop, fully shut down the notebook (hold Shift key when select shutdown).  Start the notebook and let it settle for 5-10 minutes, note the ambient temp (if possible), the idle temp, open ThrottleStop and click on TS Bench, now click on 1024M let the benchmark run and observe the temperatures.

Now you can post back with a baseline, TS Bench is not a very strenuous benchmark, however it will run all cores of the CPU at 100% although it probably wont push CPU frequency to the max.  Once you have a baseline you can then look to undervolting the CPU assuming there's nothing wildly out of place.  If it's running overly hot it can only be a software and or hardware issue, and in my experience they can be fixed or at very least mitigated.

FWIW - G9-793
    7700HQ, 32Gb, GTX 1070, Ambient 24C/25C, idle 34C/36C TSBench 63C, be mindful this is a 17" with a higher TDP, so it should run cooler than the 15"

Q-6
    I didnt reLly get the throttlestop part like does it cool the system down or what and is it ok to use fans at max speed always? And how do I elevate the rear I dont get it?? And my pc tempreature is really cold like 30 degrees but the cpu is at 90 while gaming...is that normal? Sorry for my questions theh might be a bit dumb =D
  • Queen6
    ThrottleStop reduces the voltage and subsequently the current to the CPU, so resultantly it will run cooler.  You can raise the rear of the notebook up with anything, just an inch or so as it helps the airflow. When traveling I use a pair of ORICO notebook stands, at home a large cooling pad, really anything that is stable works.  When the notebook is flat on a desk the heat is often reflected back to the computer, lifting the rear stops that.  You want the air flowing into the computer to be a cool as reasonably possible, as the warmer the air is the harder the cooling system needs to work.

CPU is hot as it's under significant load and not unusual, although 90C is in the high side.  Personally I leave the fans on auto as they spool up as needed.  Top of the forum there is a sticky it will help a lot and has YouTube guides on setting up ThrottleStop.

Q-6
  • Jobi
    Jobi Member Posts: 40 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Dear Guys.
     If i use throttlestop software to reduce the cpu temperature in future it will create any problem??? please explain it.
  • Jobi
    Any one reply my below message???
  • Queen6
    Jobi said:
    Any one reply my below message???
    No, just don't go too deep or the system will become unstable.  Over all there is nothing to loose and a lot to gain from using ThrottleStop

Just start with a Core & Cache offset of -100mV, and increase the value, if the system locks up or is unstable you need to reduce the undervolt

Q-6
  • Jobi
    Yaa ok.. if we using this method it will affect anything of my lap in future like hardware components
  • Queen6
    NO, if anything it will prolong the lifespan...

Q-6

• ariuka
    ariuka Member Posts: 1 New User
    yes it is very dissapointed for my acer predator helious 300 over heating. i wanna return it but how?

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    You can try this guide.

https://youtu.be/N3v3o21M8gg
    - Hotel Hero