Switch 5 SW512-52 windows hello issue

evatang215
evatang215 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
My finger print sensor was working until a few weeks ago it woldn't recognise my finger and therefore until to re-setup windows hello, then (assume after an updated) now in settings it is saying "Windows Hello isn't available on this device", which is frustrating because it is and I had used it before. I tried doing a driver update, but I can't even find the driver in device manager. Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Eva

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    evatang215 

If Windows Hello isn’t working for you, you need to Sign in to your device using a different method, such as a PIN or Password and then remove Windows Hello as a sign-in option. Do so by opening Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options and clicking on the Remove link under Fingerprint or Facial recognition.

Set up fingerprint reader
    Go to the sign-in options from your Accounts Settings.
    Locate Windows Hello and select Fingerprint option.
    Select “Set Up”.
    Place your finger on the fingerprint ID sensor. You can select one or multiple fingers to be read by scanner.
    You will get a notification when the setup is done.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • evatang215
    Sharanji said:
    evatang215 

If Windows Hello isn’t working for you, you need to Sign in to your device using a different method, such as a PIN or Password and then remove Windows Hello as a sign-in option. Do so by opening Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options and clicking on the Remove link under Fingerprint or Facial recognition.

Set up fingerprint reader
    Go to the sign-in options from your Accounts Settings.
    Locate Windows Hello and select Fingerprint option.
    Select “Set Up”.
    Place your finger on the fingerprint ID sensor. You can select one or multiple fingers to be read by scanner.
    You will get a notification when the setup is done.

My device is now saying Windows Hellow is not available on this device, when it should be because I have used it before. And there is not set up option for anything under Windows Hello (see screenshot in oringinal post)
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    My device is now saying Windows Hellow is not available on this device, when it should be because I have used it before. And there is not set up option for anything under Windows Hello (see screenshot in oringinal post)

>>>>Check for any pending Windows Updates
    Press Windows key + I to open Settings app.
    Open Update & Security and click Check for updates button.
    Now wait for the system to detect all available updates. When the list is delivered, click Install.
    Reboot the system.

>>>>Check if windows troubleshooter can take care of them.
    Press Windows key from the keyboard, type Troubleshooting and select it.
    Click on view all option on the upper left corner of Troubleshooting window.
    Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.

>>>>Download the updates manually 
    Copy the KB (Knowledge Base) number along with “KB” letters as well (e.g. KB4040724).
    Open Microsoft Update Catalog and search for the number you just copied.
    Click on the Download button to the left, choose the version of your OS (32bit or 64bit) and download the file.
    Run the file you just downloaded and follow the instructions on screen in order to complete the updating process.
    After the update has finished, restart your computer and check to see if your PC is running the latest version available.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

• evatang215
    Sharanji said:

>>>>Check for any pending Windows Updates
    Press Windows key + I to open Settings app.
    Open Update & Security and click Check for updates button.
    Now wait for the system to detect all available updates. When the list is delivered, click Install.
    Reboot the system.

>>>>Check if windows troubleshooter can take care of them.
    Press Windows key from the keyboard, type Troubleshooting and select it.
    Click on view all option on the upper left corner of Troubleshooting window.
    Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.

>>>>Download the updates manually 
    Copy the KB (Knowledge Base) number along with “KB” letters as well (e.g. KB4040724).
    Open Microsoft Update Catalog and search for the number you just copied.
    Click on the Download button to the left, choose the version of your OS (32bit or 64bit) and download the file.
    Run the file you just downloaded and follow the instructions on screen in order to complete the updating process.
    After the update has finished, restart your computer and check to see if your PC is running the latest version available.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Thank you for the reply.
    I tried the first 2 - checked for updates and it says I am up to date, troubleshooter says no problems (but from what I can see I couldn't locate a driver for the fingerprint driver, so I wonder if that is causing a false negative)

where do I find the KB number?
  • hedehede81
    hedehede81 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    your device manager doesn't show biometric devices. there should be a synaptics device there. there is no unknown device either. your sensor is totally offline. it is not a driver issue. I would try going into BIOS and restore default settings. it resets the EC and solves most sensor problems genarally. If it doesn't work, try running down the battery to 0% and power up again. (you need to do a battery pull actually but it is hard to take apart the tablet.)
  • evatang215
    your device manager doesn't show biometric devices. there should be a synaptics device there. there is no unknown device either. your sensor is totally offline. it is not a driver issue. I would try going into BIOS and restore default settings. it resets the EC and solves most sensor problems genarally. If it doesn't work, try running down the battery to 0% and power up again. (you need to do a battery pull actually but it is hard to take apart the tablet.)
    thank you for your reply. if I restore default settings through BIOS, is it going to affect other things like my other settings/stuff saved? and could you provide some instructions on how to do that please?
  • BenKenobi
    BenKenobi Member Posts: 3 New User
    I had the same problem. I stopped it by deactivating the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' option in the device-manager. You get there by selecting properties for the biometric fingerprint scanner and then you can find the option at "power management"