Aspire VX15 screen flicker/freeze

samson1
samson1 Member Posts: 3 New User
Hi there,

For a few weeks now, I've noticed my Aspire VX 15 has been having an intermittent screen flickering issue. Sometimes it'll just flicker to black a few times and then stop, but more and more often, it'll flicker to the point where the screen freezes and begins to white out. Audio continues to play as normal while this happens, though, so the problem seems to be limited to just the screen. It's not a temperature issue, I've checked, and often all I have to do is either a. physically adjust the laptop's position or b. close and open the laptop again for it to right itself. That solution is temporary, however, and now it's gotten to the point where it happens several times a day. 

I know very little about computers, and I'm extremely reluctant to physically go into the inner workings of the laptop unless I absolutely have to. There seem to be a few other people with this problem that I've seen, but I've not been able to find a solution as of yet. I've had it for less than a year, and I bought it through Amazon, so I'm not really sure what my warranty situation is either.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions as  to what can be done to resolve this, I'd love to hear them.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Is the same issue mirrored on an HDMIed TV screen? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    samson1 

>>Try to download and reinstall the Nvidia driver Download

>>>Reset the Winsock Catalog. Hold the Windows Key and Press X. Choose  Command Prompt (Admin). In the command prompt, type the following command and press enter. 

netsh winsock reset

Then reboot the PC and test.

>>> If your computer is less than one year old, you can contact Acer warranty support to check for options to resolve the issue.
    Acer US : https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    Acer worldwide : http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Basquests
    Basquests Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited May 2018
    Exactly the same as my issue. Although my workaround is to use an external monitor.

Dont think its the ips monitor though, as i got that replaced and it didnt fix it.

Let me know if you find a solution. I too got mine from amazon but dont think im eligible to get anything done here in NZ
  • JackE
    @Basquests If HDMIing is OK, then the graphics adapter seems OK. If the new screen didn't help, then the LCD ribbon cable is the likely suspect. Probably has an intermittent conductor trace break. Usually happens in the hinge area from wear and tear of opening/closing the lid a lot. If it's less than a year old, it should still be eligible for an ACER warranty repair though I'd probably just order a new LCD cable since they're usually pretty cheap and easy to install. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• samson1
    Apologies for the delayed response. The issue has gotten worse in the meantime.

Sorry Sharanji, what you suggested didn't work.

@JackE , the issue is not mirrored while connected to a monitor via HDMI. It seems to be limited to my screen alone. Do you think it's due to a faulty LCD cable, like you said? I'm hesitant to send the laptop in for repair, since I have limited funds, so if it's easy to install I think that might be something I could do.
  • JackE
    Yes, the LCD ribbon cable is the prime suspect if the TV doesn't mirror the LCD! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• samson1
    Okay. Is there a certain store or website I can buy one at? Does it need to be a specific one for my model of laptop?
  • JackE
    Google your  VX15's "full model number" "lcd cable" "replacement" with the quotes. This will usually turn up an Amazon or Ebay link. They usually give the best prices & shipping. There are a few smaller laptop parts vendors that may also have fairly good deals. Should be ~$20. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Abhinav97
    Abhinav97 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have been facing the same issue with my acer vx15 @samson1 .Its worse now and I have to power on and off several times to turn back normal.
  • JackE
    @Abhinav97 If the TV screen works OK but not the internal LCD, then the LCD cable probably should be replaced. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jwf
    jwf Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am the disgusted owner of an Acer Aspire V15 Touch which was 2 years old this past May. The screen has vertical flickering multi colored lines rendering it unusable. I was ripped off by Acer's third party repair service for the total amount of $139.99. They said they could repair it but after two days they said I needed to take it to Staples for a hardware issue and off course there was no refund. Took it to Staples and paid them $50.00 and they said they could not fix it. Bottom line here is that the computer is garbage quality and Acer has zero customer service. Worst customer experience ever. I have been using personal and business computers for forty years and this is my worst experience. Definitely will not return  for a repeat performance.  
  • JackE
    @jwf (1) Did this flickering behavior start out intermittently then get progressively worse? (2) Is the flickering also present on an HDMI TV screen?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bdeephoto
    bdeephoto Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

samson1 said:
    Hi there,

For a few weeks now, I've noticed my Aspire VX 15 has been having an intermittent screen flickering issue. Sometimes it'll just flicker to black a few times and then stop, but more and more often, it'll flicker to the point where the screen freezes and begins to white out. Audio continues to play as normal while this happens, though, so the problem seems to be limited to just the screen. It's not a temperature issue, I've checked, and often all I have to do is either a. physically adjust the laptop's position or b. close and open the laptop again for it to right itself. That solution is temporary, however, and now it's gotten to the point where it happens several times a day. 

I know very little about computers, and I'm extremely reluctant to physically go into the inner workings of the laptop unless I absolutely have to. There seem to be a few other people with this problem that I've seen, but I've not been able to find a solution as of yet. I've had it for less than a year, and I bought it through Amazon, so I'm not really sure what my warranty situation is either.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions as  to what can be done to resolve this, I'd love to hear them.
    I sent my VX15 laptop back to Acer twice only to have the tech ignore what I thought the issue was and keep replacing the screen. Now they wanted me to send it back a third time. Long story short -->  I fix it myself and now its been months without a flicker.  One could say they make a boatload on repairs.  If you would like the fix please email me..  
  • JackE
    @bdeephoto If you have a solution, please post here so that others may learn from your experience. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bdeephoto

Tinkerer

This flicker issue has to do with a bad connector that Acer seems to want to hide this from customers.. This connector seems to be a common component used in many Acer products.  Over time It will find a way to loosen up and cause this flicker issue . This is why after sending my laptop back to Acer twice without a permanent fix and them wanting me to send it in a third time I decided to look into it myself.  In my case my laptop did not stop flickering completely till I opened the case and fixed it by inserting and attaching a spacer between the top of the display ribbon cable connector where it connects to the motherboard and case bottom so that it has no room to work itself out.  After doing this I never had the flicker problem again. 

The spacer needs to be a material soft enough to constantly apply pressure to the back of the connector while not touching anything else. I cut a small piece of thin foam padding to the size of the connector and taped it to the back of the case with electrical tape. When I screwed the back of the laptop case in it just applied pressure to the back of the connector.  Since then I have had no more flicker issues.

• JackE
    Thanks @bdeephoto for describing your fix. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bdeephoto

Tinkerer

JackE  Your welcome -  So the BIG question is.. Why isn't the Acer repair techs who work on our warranty repairs looking in these support forum threads to find solutions to issues especially when its a common issue with a product.  AND - if they do find and fix an issues like this why aren't they posting in here with the fix? Why do customers like me have to fix our own machine and then share it with their customers?  I think you and I both know the answer to this question.... :-/   
  • JackE
    >>>why aren't they posting in here with the fix? Why do customers like me have to fix our own machine and then share it with their customers? >>>

I'm gonna guess "money" to both your questions. Do you think guessed right?  :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bdeephoto

Tinkerer

Yep Yep Yep!!   That's why you are a Trailblazer and make the BIG BUCKS !!   ;)
  • JackE
    edited November 2018
    @bdeephoto Trailblazers, pathfinders, pioneers and other users like you on this community actually aren't paid ACER repair employees. We're just out to help one another just like you did in posting your fix. Welcome to the community of unpaid ACER non-employees!  =) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ