What to do when I travel for a few months and the battery of my Acer Nitro 5 is not removable?

MariaNM
MariaNM Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi there!

I just bought Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51 and I have the following problem...

Sometimes I need to be away for one month or two and on my previous laptop I used to remove the battery while I was gone to preserve it. Tomorrow I am traveling and I tried to remove the battery and it turned out it is not removable. :(

What could you suggest me to do to save my battery if I am not going to use the computer for 1 month? I will leave it at home and there will be no one to recharge or so...

Thanks!
Maria

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    MariaNM 

If the computer is unused for more than one months, discharge the battery to about 70% before storing. For prolonged storage, check the battery capacity every one month and recharge it to 70 percent. Always store the computer between 20ºC and 25ºC (68ºF and 77ºF).
    Once you get back, allow the battery to discharge completely and recharge to full capacity.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • MariaNM
    Dear Sharanji,

Thank you for your answer! So now I fully recharge and then discharge to 70%?

Now I will be away for one month and I will leave it as you say. But in the future if I need to leave it for longer I will need to find someone to take care of the battery every month.

• MariaNM
    I am reading now a manual I found online... it says for new batteries (or after long time no use) I need to discharge and charge three times. Today I got the computer and it is brand new, so I don't know whether the battery has been used before (if the laptop had been on display before purchased). Do you recommend that I do that three discharge-charge battery course before I leave it to 70%?
    Sorry for so many questions but for a new laptop it would be a pity to waist the battery so fast...
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    MariaNM 

This discharging and charging applies to older Nickle-based batteries. So fully discharging and charging the battery multiple times is completely useless. The older batteries begin losing their charge immediately after being topped off, even if the laptop is turned off and not being used. You device has a Lithium-ion batteries.
    >>>Lithium-ion batteries on the other hand will hold their charge for months with only a very slight drop in charge level.

Having a battery fully charged and the laptop plugged in is not harmful, because as soon as the charge level reaches 100% the battery stops receiving charging energy and this energy is bypassed directly to the power supply system of the laptop.

A 24-hour charge makes sure the battery is fully charged and helps with the battery's life expectancy. Once it is fully charged, you should not discharge it fully, if possible. Lithium-ion batteries are strained, and may be weakened, when they are fully discharged.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!