Windows 10 reinstall hung up at "Setup is Starting"

Options
Vavera
Vavera Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited February 29 in 2018 Archives

Mine is a Windows 7 machine upgraded to Windows 10. Its because of some unforeseen reasons.  I got it backed up at office depot and trying to reinstall windows 10 with the help of USB drive created in other computer using Windows 10 USB/DVD Download Tool. But the install is hung up at Setup is Starting screen.

My system details:

Acer Aspire AM3470- UC30P with AMD A8-3800; 6Gb Memory.

Please help to put it back in work.

Thanks,

Ven Vall

Answers

• Mono
    Mono Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Options

hi,

so ur facing issue while installing OS, so you have to format the HDD(hard-disk) on doing this complect file on u r unit will be delited

for format the HDD

·         Restart the computer.

·         Press F8 as the computer starts to boot. Press F8 before the Windows 7 logo appears.

·         Select Repair Your Computer at the Advanced Boot Options screen. ...

·         Press Enter.

·         Select Command Prompt.

·         Type diskpart.

·         Now type list disk and press enter. All the disk drives will be listed, including your external drives that connected to the computer.

·         type list disk to format hard drive with command prompt

·         Refer to the list disk information, type select disk + disk number, for example, select disk 1 and press enter. You're telling diskpart to format disk 1.

·         type select disk 1 to format hard drive with command prompt

·         Step  Go on to type clean. This step starts to clean up all files and folders on the selected hard disk.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Best to make a backup of the drive first, or else you'll lose anything you have on it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Vavera

Tinkerer

Options
    Mono said:

hi,

so ur facing issue while installing OS, so you have to format the HDD(hard-disk) on doing this complect file on u r unit will be delited

for format the HDD

·         Restart the computer.

·         Press F8 as the computer starts to boot. Press F8 before the Windows 7 logo appears.

·         Select Repair Your Computer at the Advanced Boot Options screen. ...

·         Press Enter.

·         Select Command Prompt.

·         Type diskpart.

·         Now type list disk and press enter. All the disk drives will be listed, including your external drives that connected to the computer.

·         type list disk to format hard drive with command prompt

·         Refer to the list disk information, type select disk + disk number, for example, select disk 1 and press enter. You're telling diskpart to format disk 1.

·         type select disk 1 to format hard drive with command prompt

·         Step  Go on to type clean. This step starts to clean up all files and folders on the selected hard disk.

• Vavera

Tinkerer

Options
    I got "DiskPart has encountered an error: The device is not ready." Error.
  • billsey
    Options
    At which point in Mono's list? List Disk, Select Disk, Clean?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Vavera

Tinkerer

Options
    I got the message with clean command 
  • billsey
    Options
    That is sounding like a hardware problem with the drive. The drive is allowing a read operation (both list and select just read the partition table) but not a write (clean is trying to overwrite the partition table with a new blank one). Try booting on your install media and going into the command line as you were with the diskpart command, but do a 'chkdsk c: /f' to see if it can be corrected.
  • Vavera

Tinkerer

Options
    Now I’m getting message ”the type of the file system is RAW. Cannot lock current drive. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.” 
    Can you please advise. 
  • billsey
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Yeah, that is showing that the partition table is probably corrupt, likely due to the failing drive. :(

Rerun the diskpart sequence and copy what's displayed for each command here to make sure we're not just missing something.