Acer Z35 overclock resolution

SkyShazad
SkyShazad Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 14 in 2018 Archives

HI all Need some advice I tried to overclock resolution on me UltraWide Z35 monitor to 3440 x 1440 by using setting within the Nvidia card, it work and resolution looked amazing even though this monitors resolution only goes up to 2560 x 1080, anyway some warning came up can't remember fully what it said but something on the lines of long use of this can damaged your monitor,,,

My question is this, is that information legit or is it something the manufacturer has put on to scare you from stopping you from doing this to buy there more expensive monitors...

and this is the image when i overclock the resolution in nvidia settings as windows doesnt allow me to do it in the windows settings

Has anyone tried this over clocking resolution.. Any information would be awesome Thanks guys

Best Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    There is no point making your monitor run at higher resolution than the native. It is a hardware limitation not software. Increasing the resolution higher than the native can improve image quality a bit and doing so won't harm the monitor. The reason why they have put the warning there is that it also allows you to change the refresh rate, which can potentially harm the monitor by causing it to heat up more.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    SkyShazad said:
    ven98 said:
    There is no point making your monitor run at higher resolution than the native. It is a hardware limitation not software. Increasing the resolution higher than the native can improve image quality a bit and doing so won't harm the monitor. The reason why they have put the warning there is that it also allows you to change the refresh rate, which can potentially harm the monitor by causing it to heat up more.
      so what your saying i can Increase the resolution but to be safe keep it on the default 60mhz refresh rate,,

That's right.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Answers

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• SkyShazad
    ven98 said:
    First of thank you for your reply, I posted this on Reddit also and your the first person to actually give me proper answer.. so what your saying i can Increase the resolution but to be safe keep it on the default 60mhz refresh rate,,
     the reason why i wanted to increase resolution was for video editing I just need more space to work with, and not really for gaming
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    SkyShazad said:
    ven98 said:
      so what your saying i can Increase the resolution but to be safe keep it on the default 60mhz refresh rate,,

That's right.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• SkyShazad
    ven98 said:
    SkyShazad said:
    ven98 said:

That's right.
    oh wow thats awesome man thanks again... to be honest im still scared to try it properly as iv only tried it for 10 seconds then i get scared and switch it back lol