Acer Spin 1 SP111-32N screen flicker on dark images

mmazur
mmazur Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Brand new laptop arrived today. Just noticed some rather horrible flickering whenever the image displayed isn't mostly white. As in: white web page displays fine. Dark web page and everything flickers all the time.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwfezQ_HE94 (observe the two white horizontal stripes in the bottom left corner of the laptop's screen)

Question is, whether this is software-fixable or do I need to return the thing.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,438 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Go to Acer support site and download the VGA driver, then in Device manager go to Display adapter and uninstall the driver, install the downloaded driver and see whether it fixes the problem.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/7324?b=1
  • mmazur
    I'd be replacing Intel's driver version 21.20.16.4639 with Intel's driver version 21.20.16.4639. Seems rather pointless.
  • mmazur
    Well, I'm unable to trigger it anymore. A bios update 1.04 -> 1.06 and a reboot is what I did. So it was either the bios (which I doubt) or the problem happens sufficiently infrequently, that there's no clear trigger. Glad I made the video when I made it, so at least I know I wasn't seeing things.
  • Ecip
    Ecip Member Posts: 84 Fixer WiFi Icon
    mmazur said:
    Well, I'm unable to trigger it anymore. A bios update 1.04 -> 1.06 and a reboot is what I did. So it was either the bios (which I doubt) or the problem happens sufficiently infrequently, that there's no clear trigger. Glad I made the video when I made it, so at least I know I wasn't seeing things.
    I also doubt it was the BIOS, but I suppose its possible if the new BIOS version addressed anything GPUish hardware wise... hopefully it wont happen again.
  • rrrk
    rrrk Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi,
    Does any one know if there is pulse-width modulation used to darken screen in SP111-32N ?