SA5-271: How to boot Switch Alpha 12 using external monitor

ficer
ficer Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited March 15 in 2018 Archives

Is it possible to boot the 2-in-1 laptop using an external monitor and USB-keyboard keeping the lid closed like in the image?

The connectors get worn fast if the lid has to be opened during every boot. Can the booting be initiated with the laptop power-button? How about BIOS settings, for example bios password? How about EFI boot loader screen? Do they show up in the monitor screen? How to set these?

Second question:

In the docking stations with power delivery, is there a power button functionality? A button to press to start the bootup? What kind of a docking station is recommended?

ficer

Image of the powerless dock.

Answers

• ficer

Tinkerer

The lid setting was already there. This is essential. I did not find the "primary monitor" setting. Where was this again? There is no "all settings" option in the user interface screen from the "settings" icon in the start-menu.

I removed the bios password feature and tried to reboot using the monitor. Reboot brought the image back to the monitor. During reboot, "Acer" green logo wont show. The Windows login prompt was visible after the boot. I tried to shutdown and to press down the power button for some time: nothing happened, no blue light from inside, nothing. I actually have to open the lid, press the power button of the tablet and actually login to Windows first. Otherwice the monitor won't come up. Because the USB-C wire is short, I actually remove the cable, login, put the lid down again and plug in the USB-C HDMI. Closing the lid and pressing power button did not work.

Sometimes the docking stations have a power button.

ficer

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    edited April 2018
    Hi,
    Please try the below steps to change primary display.

Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to open Display settings.

2. Right click or press and hold on your desktop, click/tap on Display settings, and go to step 4 below. 

Name  desktoppngViews 235139Size  50 KB

3. Open Settings, click/tap on the System icon, and go to step 4 below.

4. On the right side of Display, click/tap on the display number at the top that you want to make the main display, and check the Make this my main display box under Multiple displays. (see screenshot below)

If Make this my main display and the Apply button are both grayed out, then it means that the currently selected display is already set as the main dislpay. 
    Name  Currently_Main_displayjpgViews 265609Size  28 KB

Click image for larger versionNameMain_display_settingsjpgViews3240Size1042 KBID124647

yes there are few docking stations with power button feature. I have no idea if its available in the market.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • ficer

Tinkerer

Thenk you for the answear. Finally the default display setting was found: It fixed only the login screen issue, when the tablet boots, the Windows login window is visible in the monitor and the keyboard works. The "extended" option has to be chosen for the correct tick box to appear.

The main problem is that I can't boot the device with the lid closed and the problem remains unsolved. It would be even better if the BIOS and UEFI boot manager would show in the monitor. Is this possible to organize somehow? How about an another boot manager, would it help?

Does anyone know if the signal from the USB-C power dock station is able to boot this device?

ficer
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    hi,

under power settings have you changed the settings to do nothing for choose what happens when lid is closed.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • ficer

Tinkerer

Yes. A BIOS hardware setting to do the same would help.

fizer

• ficer

Tinkerer

Actually after removing the power cord and rebooting, sometimes the monitor is not found. After this and in any case, the lid has to be opened in every boot and this is not good for the connectors. fizer