My 6 month old Acer Chromebook 15 will not fully charge

Doreenk2z
Doreenk2z Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
My 6 month old Acer Chromebook 15 will not fully charge. Will only charge up to 60%

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,752 Pathfinder
    Hi,

Please do not worry as this issue occurs due to a bug in chromebook updates. It was mentioned upcoming update will rectify the issue.

If you have already updated the device to latest version but still have problems then contact acer technical support for help
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • Kishore
    Kishore Member Posts: 2 New User
    It could be charger issue so you need to replace it
  • Ganu0406
    Ganu0406 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

• Flip your Chromebook and remove all the screws that hold the back cover in place. Be sure the keep them in a small box as they tend to disappear. You know what we mean.
    • Proceed to loosen the back cover and pop up all the edges. If things are really “tight” you can use an old credit card to loosen the edges. You should encounter small metal clips around the exterior part. Gently remove the cover nice and easy trying NOT TO tear the cable connecting the power supply of your Chromebook and your motherboard. Take your time avoinding fast movements. Do not uplug this connectoras you will need it in place in order to complete the process.
    • You should now see a small connector between the battery and your Chromebook motherboard. In the image below it can be found between number six and number seven. Release the connector with care.
    • Without touching anything on the inside, I repeat without touching any circuits, plug your Chromebook back in and fire it up. DO NOT TURN IT ON just plug it in and give it some juice. We do this just to let the Chromebook know there is no battery connected for now. Wait 5 minutes.
    • Now the battery indicator that was previously orange shold be red.
    • Disconnect the power supply from your laptop again
    • Reconnect the battery and motherboard, reattach the back cover using the screws.
    • You can not power up your machine and it should start charging again.
  • Vicky1331
    Vicky1331 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi 
    Try to use a Different charger , if still have a same issue , Charger went Bad need to get a new charger .
  • Vicky1331
    Vicky1331 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi 

Try to use a Different charger , if the battery getting charge , it seems like charger gone bad , need to replace the charger
  • Doreenk2z
    Hi thanks everyone for your prompt response. I'm have an older acer chromebook 11 & it charges fine with the charger & I also plugged the chromebook 15 into 11's charger (that works fine)& the 15 only charged to 58% after being charged all night. So looks like both my old & new chargers are fine & the problem is w/ the 15. I did that battery test & it showed 95% good health.  Rudy I did check to see if I missed an update & it says it's up to date. Tinkerer, I'm going to try your suggestion next...well as soon as I can get someone with a steadier hand...I get a little wild when I'm ticked off & am apt to toss this chromebook out the window, with all the little screws.   
  • Doreenk2z
    edited April 2018
    Ok I found a fix for this problem I've been having over at chrome unboxed & it worked perfectly. This morning my chromebook 15 is fully charged 100%. This is what I did per the instructions submitted to that site by Joe DiNardo.

Special thanks to Joe DiNardo for sharing this information RESET BATTERY PERCENTAGE.

1. Unplug the device from the AC adapter and power it down completely.
    2. Press Escape+Refresh+Power keys simultaneously to invoke recovery mode. (you should be greeted with a screen that says “Chrome OS is missing or damaged. It’s okay, nothing is broken. Do not press any other keys)
    3. Now, plug the AC adapter back in and leave the device as is. Do not power down or close the lid.
    4. Leave the Chromebooks plugged in for 6 hours to allow the battery to recalibrate and take a full charge.
    5. While still plugged in, hold the power button and power down the device.
    6. Leaving the device plugged in, power it back up and you should see the battery level at full or close to it.
    7. Unplug the Chromebook and you’re all set. The battery should be back to its normal self and the indicator should reflect the full charge.
    8. Now unplug the ac adapter, the battery life indicator should correctly show the time remaining and correct battery percentage. (95% or full charge in the taskbar)
  • dedhed59
    dedhed59 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Joe Di Nardo's solution is absolutely perfect (for my Chromebook 15). Kudos Joe. Thank you so much!