Acer Aspire R3-131T Adding a hard drive I wanted to upgrade the storage.

Options
RKAsConsulting
RKAsConsulting Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2023 in Aspire Laptops
I was recently give an Acer Aspire R3-131T.  It is pretty basic.  2GB Ram and the built in 32GB storage.  As you all know, 32GBs is barely enough the factory installed software w/Operating System.  So, I wanted to upgrade the storage.  I removed the back on the laptop and was surprised to discover that there is NO hard drive installed and no cabling to add a hard drive even though there is a space for a Hard Drive.  What parts do I need to be able to add a hard drive to this laptop?  I'm very surprised that any company would build a laptop that wasn't easily upgradeable, but that isn't the case here.  I've searched online and can only find information on upgrading an existing HDD, but that isn't the case here.  Please help.
[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and issue detail]

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Options
    RKAsConsulting The Acer Aspire R3-131T laptops comes with 32GB SSD. I request you to please share the Part Number of your laptop, hence can provide accurate solutions in upgrading hardware. 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options
    It is a 32GB eMMC drive soldered to the mainboard. It can however accomodate a 2nd 7mm 2.5" HDD or SSD by removing the lower cover. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ronmiedema415
    Ronmiedema415 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Which lower cover are you referring to?. I have a 256 GB kingston kc600 SSD upgrade kit but can't find anywhere that will accept a SATA cable or 7mm adapter. And while looming around I did something because my screen won't turn on. It works with an external monitor though. I added a 8gb ddr3 ram and trying to upgrade

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options

https://community.acer.com/en/profile/Ronmiedema415

The lower cover is the one you removed to add the RAM module. The HDD connector is near the RAM socket. You probably have to re-seat the video cable a few times to get the screen working again.

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.