Aspire ES1-512-COGA Ram upgrade from 4GB to 8GB, Black screen not booting

PhilT
PhilT Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi 
Apologies if this is covered by other threads,I cannot find it. I would like to upgrade my RAM from 4GB to 8GB. I used the crucial scanner and have bought the recommended compatible RAM. I have installed and reinstalled it numerous times with it clicking into place and 1/16 inch of gold bar showing as recommended by Crucial. All other connections are fine. The laptop does not boot and the screen is black when turned on. I have reinstalled the original 4GB Ram and the laptop runs perfectly. Crucial recommend changing the BIOS settings. I have been into the BIOS settings and do not know what to change . Can any one help please or am I wasting my time and money trying to upgrade the RAM on this model?
My laptop specs from BIOS settings screen

Aspire ES1-512-COGA
CPU Type : Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU N2840 @216GHz
CPU Speed: 216GHz
HDD Model Name : WDC WD5000LPVX-22VOTTO
HDD Serial Number : WD-Wx81A74PNZZH
System BIOS Version: v1.07
GOP Version: Intel(R) GOP Driver [7.2.1003]
Operating System: Windows 10

Best Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    can you post the Crucial ram model?

About BIOS settings for ram...simply is not available on your laptop, so you can't pretty much.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • IronFly
    edited April 2018 Answer ✓
    about BIOS
    https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.15_A_A.zip?acerid=635750266052376579&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE ES1-512&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

download, unzip, battery at 100% + AC charger connected, run the exe file and follow instructions.

Ram model seems good, apart the speed at 1600mhz instead of 1333mhz but normally this is not a problem.
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Vicky1331 said:
    Hi Phil, 
    *Connect the Old Ram , Boot the Computer , Please Go to www.support.acer.com - > Enter your Device SNID -> Check under the Drivers topic ,Check for the Bios Drivers after updating the Bios driver for your computer from the Acer support site , reboot the computer check weather Bios has been updated , now try to change the New RAM , tried to Boot computer check weather able to use the computer Now.  
    He already updated the BIOS, so...

can be 2 things:
    1) bad ram module, ask for a replacement
    2) this model is not compatible in some way, maybe speed as i already wrote.
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Vicky1331 said:
    Hi ,
    If your Ram port has Two Slot if your upgrading to 8GB tried to Use 2 Ram as 4GB *2 and also check for 4 GB first if the computer turns on ,try with Next 4 GB ram . 
    This model has just 1 DIMM slot.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    can you post the Crucial ram model?

About BIOS settings for ram...simply is not available on your laptop, so you can't pretty much.
  • AntoJoseph
    AntoJoseph Member Posts: 83 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Please connect the old RAM and check whether you get any display, If display comes back, Then update the latest BIOS version and reboot the system.
  • PhilT

Tinkerer

IronFly - Crucial RAM number  CT102464BF160.C16FND
                                                  DDR3L-1600    ODIMM 1.35V CL11S

AntoJoseph - I have the old RAM in and am using laptop to post this. Its working as normal. You say update the latest BIOS version - that is what I am asking how to do. I do not know how to update the BIOS.
  • IronFly
    edited April 2018 Answer ✓
    about BIOS
    https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.15_A_A.zip?acerid=635750266052376579&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE ES1-512&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

download, unzip, battery at 100% + AC charger connected, run the exe file and follow instructions.

Ram model seems good, apart the speed at 1600mhz instead of 1333mhz but normally this is not a problem.
  • PhilT

Tinkerer

IronFly - Thank you, I will try that today.
  • Tmzdroid
    Tmzdroid Member Posts: 88 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Try leaving the laptop switched on for a few minutes it wont boot up immediately after installing new Ram. 
  • PhilT

Tinkerer

Hi again
    Ironfly-  I did as you instructed there is no change, still a black screen and not booting. I changed the RAM back to the original and it started up fine but cannot connect to the internet now.

Tmzdroid-  how long should I leave it for? Nothing after 45 minutes of being left on.

I am grateful for all suggestions, thank you.

• Vicky1331
    Vicky1331 Member Posts: 4 New User
    PhilT said:
    Hi 
    Apologies if this is covered by other threads,I cannot find it. I would like to upgrade my RAM from 4GB to 8GB. I used the crucial scanner and have bought the recommended compatible RAM. I have installed and reinstalled it numerous times with it clicking into place and 1/16 inch of gold bar showing as recommended by Crucial. All other connections are fine. The laptop does not boot and the screen is black when turned on. I have reinstalled the original 4GB Ram and the laptop runs perfectly. Crucial recommend changing the BIOS settings. I have been into the BIOS settings and do not know what to change . Can any one help please or am I wasting my time and money trying to upgrade the RAM on this model?
    My laptop specs from BIOS settings screen

Aspire ES1-512-COGA
    CPU Type : Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU N2840 @216GHz
    CPU Speed: 216GHz
    HDD Model Name : WDC WD5000LPVX-22VOTTO
    HDD Serial Number : WD-Wx81A74PNZZH
    System BIOS Version: v1.07
    GOP Version: Intel(R) GOP Driver [7.2.1003]
    Operating System: Windows 10

Hi Phil, 
    *Connect the Old Ram , Boot the Computer , Please Go to www.support.acer.com - > Enter your Device SNID -> Check under the Drivers topic ,Check for the Bios Drivers after updating the Bios driver for your computer from the Acer support site , reboot the computer check weather Bios has been updated , now try to change the New RAM , tried to Boot computer check weather able to use the computer Now.  
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Vicky1331 said:
    Hi Phil, 
    He already updated the BIOS, so...

can be 2 things:
    1) bad ram module, ask for a replacement
    2) this model is not compatible in some way, maybe speed as i already wrote.
  • Vicky1331
    Vicky1331 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi ,
    If your Ram port has Two Slot if your upgrading to 8GB tried to Use 2 Ram as 4GB *2 and also check for 4 GB first if the computer turns on ,try with Next 4 GB ram . 
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Vicky1331 said:
    Hi ,
    This model has just 1 DIMM slot.
  • PhilT

Tinkerer

Thanks for all advice, I think it may be best to upgrade to a more capable laptop  as I'm having no success with the new RAM and getting more problems than I originally had.
    I appreciate all advice especially you Ironfly.Thanks again.
  • PhilT

Tinkerer

Update - I had an online chat with Crucial and they will replace the Ram module as they believe it to be faulty. 
    Thanks again for all help and advice , much appreciated.
  • alitastan
    alitastan Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello
    I have acer aspire ES 1 512 laptop.
    It has one slot 2  gb ram.
    I want to uprage 4gb or 8gb ram.
    Which one ?