Acer aspire xc-704 NO POWER

Geemac
Geemac Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
first time purchased Acer product about 14 months ago for wife’s use. Mainly word and internet use. Turned on and no power, no indicator lights nothing!!!!

Any assistance great fully received

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,752 Pathfinder
    edited April 2018
    Hi,

Please try the below steps to resolve your issue.

1. Unplug all the cables, press and hold the power button for 30-40 sec ( doing this would erase static energy )
    2. re-connect the power plug and power on the unit. ( if issue resolved then re-connect all the other cables if No then try the steps below )

1. try a different wall socket
    2. try to switch cables with monitor power plug and computer power plug ( if the unit comes on then it could be an issue with power cable and if the issue is still not resolved then you may need to contact acer technical support for help )

Kindly visit the following for the support :-https://store.acer.com/en-us/
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Also when you first turn it on, does the fan on the power supply spin, even for just a bit? If it does it's an indication that the power supply itself is shutting down due to a self check failure. If the fan doesn't even try to spin it's more likely a problem with the power switch. In general this type of symptom is caused by something in the power circuit, which goes switch; motherboard; supply; motherboard. The first motherboard is the circuit to turn the supply on, which is always powered. The second is where the rest of the motherboard is turned on.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Geemac
    billsey said:
    Also when you first turn it on, does the fan on the power supply spin, even for just a bit? If it does it's an indication that the power supply itself is shutting down due to a self check failure. If the fan doesn't even try to spin it's more likely a problem with the power switch. In general this type of symptom is caused by something in the power circuit, which goes switch; motherboard; supply; motherboard. The first motherboard is the circuit to turn the supply on, which is always powered. The second is where the rest of the motherboard is turned on.

• Geemac
    Thanks for response. Unit totally dead. Fan does not turn on even for a second
  • billsey
    OK, assuming you don't have an extended warranty it's time to get down and dirty. You'll want to either test the power switch to make sure it's making contact when pressed or jumper the enable pin on the power supply connector to verify the supply itself is good. Either of those require some tools and skills, so if you're uncomfortable with it it's time to find a technician. It'd also be possible the power cord itself has an issue, or even the outlet it's plugged into.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Slunkmonk
    Slunkmonk Member Posts: 1 New User
    Mine is doing the exact same thing. Where is the power supply jumper pin? 
  • billsey
    edited January 2019

You jump between the two pins to turn an ATX supply on without connecting it to a motherboard.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    I don't know if the problem is your power supply, but here's the part numbers for a replacement power supply.....if you want to give that a try.

KP.09001.002

KP.09003.005

KP.0900H.001

Here's an example of a compatible part for power supply for XC-704 if you can't find on Acer Store....(it has the blue tip)

http://www.power-adapter-store.com/power_adapter_fit_acer_aspire_nitro_vn7-571g-50vg.html

http://www.notebooksolutions.ca/zc/acer-original-ac-adapter-ac110239-88056.html

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Howard1
    Howard1 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Similar issue.  Its been steady getting harder to turn on over last 6 months.  Finally would not trun on at all. only way I found was remove power lead hold down power button 10sec or longer. then plug power button back in whilst holding it in. then it powers up.
    Took it to local PC place they said it was the power supply and changed it. clearly was not as has same issue. although a few times it will power on if I am persistent. I am suspecting it to be just the push button?  
  • Installguide
    Installguide Member Posts: 1 New User
    Billsey, 
    i have the same problem, I have checked the power button with my multimeter it’s working fine.
    checked power supply by bridging out terminals and checked all the voltage outputs on it, it’s fine. You mentioned motherboard? Is there a latching circuit on the board to hold the power on. I’ve been looking at it, if maybe there is a transistor I could bypass. Or do you know a simple fix as there is nothing wrong with my Acer aspire Xc 603 besides this.

• billsey
    There is an enable circuit on the motherboard, I believe part of the 3.3V stuff. The PSU keeps that circuit live even when turned 'off' and when the button is pressed it sets the enable for the PSU which then turns the 5V and 12V and such on. When the button is pressed again it sends the info to the OS which then decides on what to do. I can't help with the exact circuit though, I've never gotten that deep into it. I wouldn't be surprised though if it were in the chipset rather than discrete components...