I have to do a hard reset after leaving my aspire m3201 sitting for a while

tech1126
tech1126 Member Posts: 73 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited February 29 in 2018 Archives
Hi I am having an issue with my Acer Aspire whereas when I leave my pc over night or after a few hours I sit down to use it and my mouse curser does not move and my screen saver stops working as if the pc is FROZEN so I have to pull the p-lug for 10 seconds than after booting I can use my pc but web sites stop responding and I have to close my browser doesn't matter which one(Chrome or Edge) and reopen the pages.This has been a problem for about a month so I need help getting it fixed.
Thank you for your assistance,
tech1126

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Have you added any hardware or software around the time the error started appearing? What about the last big Windows update? Typically that symptom can be traced back to a piece of software or a driver that doesn't play well with sleep modes, so you end up getting stuck in sleep and can't fully wake up. If you can't pin it down then a work around might be to disable sleep when powered and only turn the monitor off.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Check the Advanced section in Power Options to see if it's shutting down the hard disk.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • tech1126
    edited April 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi Billsey I just received a windows update 2 days ago and my pc is no longer freezing up!You originally suggested it may be an update and it looks like you were correct.Also the sleep options are turned to "never".If I have this problem again i'll post up..Thanks for your help,
    tech1126

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Have you added any hardware or software around the time the error started appearing? What about the last big Windows update? Typically that symptom can be traced back to a piece of software or a driver that doesn't play well with sleep modes, so you end up getting stuck in sleep and can't fully wake up. If you can't pin it down then a work around might be to disable sleep when powered and only turn the monitor off.
  • tech1126
    Hi Billsey thanks for answering my post!I have not added any new hardware in a very long time.I don't know if a windows update has had a bad effect on my pc.My aspire m3201 worked great ever since My good friend Ironfly helped me square away my pc last year I blv.Yes you are correct when I am finished with my pc it could be day or night after a few hours the screen saver (bubbles)I have turned on to come on after 10 mins of no activity stop swirling around and they appear to be stuck with no movement.I can look at this and know that my pc has frozen.I move my mouse in an effort to see if it is frozen and the bubbles do not move.I then have to do a hard reset(unplug the power cable) to get my pc ready to work on.I hope these details will help you help me!If you need more data plz let me know.
    Thanks tech1126
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Check the Advanced section in Power Options to see if it's shutting down the hard disk.
  • tech1126
    edited April 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi Billsey I just received a windows update 2 days ago and my pc is no longer freezing up!You originally suggested it may be an update and it looks like you were correct.Also the sleep options are turned to "never".If I have this problem again i'll post up..Thanks for your help,
    tech1126
  • billsey
    tech1126 said:
    Also the sleep options are turned to "never".
    Note that if you don't go into Advanced you can have the settings at Never and it'll still turn off the hard disk. Great news that it's fixed though! :)
  • tech1126
    billsey said:
    tech1126 said:
    Also the sleep options are turned to "never".
    Note that if you don't go into Advanced you can have the settings at Never and it'll still turn off the hard disk. Great news that it's fixed though! :)

• tech1126
    Hi Billsey,
    I spoke too soon bro the pc freezing up continues to be a problem. I tried to set the screen saver to "never" but it will only let me set it to 9999 mins.Anyhow the pc continues to freeze up after I let it sit for more than 1 hour or two.I am at a cross roads with this problem.Now when I sit down in front of my pc to use it the curser will not react until a few mins later and then I can start to use the apps or a web page but before I get to this point I'd say about 5 mins have past.So its either do a hard reset or else wait for the pc to start behaving normally.
    Let me know what you think.
    Thanks for your assistance!
    tech1126
  • billsey
    Try setting 0 instead of 9999.  :)
  • tech1126
    Hi Billsey thanks for your continued support on this issue I have!
    I went to the screen saver and tried to set it to "0"but when I I clicked on "Apply"the setting goes back to 1 minute.So I am not able to set the screen saver to "Never"or set it to "0"minutes.The problem with the pc freezing up after leaving  it unattended after an hour or so continues to persist.I am totally committed to getting this issue resolved. When I perform a hard reset the pc works just fine for as long as I work on it but when I leave it unattended to problem with freezing comes back each and every time.
    Thanks for your time and I look forward to your next reply,
    tech1126
  • billsey
    Ah, think I found it. Just change the screen saver type to none and ignore the time to wait before launching.
  • billsey
    I'm unclear as to whether you ever got around to setting the hard disk to never turn off... Power Options, Advanced, Hard disk.