Switch 5 keyboard dead after sleep

SteveJohnson
SteveJohnson Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I just bought a new Switch 5 and every time Windows puts it to sleep, when it wakes up the keyboard and trackpad is dead. The only way I have discovered I can get it to work as a functional laptop is to physically pull the device apart and put it back together again. Obviously that's beyond inconvenient.

How can I stop it from doing this?

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    SteveJohnson 

In some cases Windows 10 does not resume from sleep mode with a key press or mouse click. Previous versions of Windows only required one key press or mouse click to wake the system. You can wake the system by pressing a key twice on the keyboard, or clicking your mouse button twice. The first click will wake the system with no video displayed and the second click will enable the video.

In Device Manager expand keyboard and right click on the driver for keyboard then select Properties. - Go to Power Management tab and remove the check on "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" then click OK

Also, check if you have the latest version of BIOS updated on your device.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7291?b=1

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • SteveJohnson
    SteveJohnson Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for answering, but I can't wake the system with any actions on the keyboard because on sleep (e.g. after closing and opening the lid) the keyboard is completely dead! There is zero response to anything I do with keyboard, trackpad or mouse (if one is connected). The only way I can use the device after closing the lid is by detaching and re-attaching the keyboard. I can get to the login screen without doing that by using the power button and tapping on the screen, but I still have no functional keyboard.

In Device Manager, there are 2 x HID Keyboard Device items, each one has the "Allow the computer..." setting greyed out but turned off. There's also a Standard PS/2 Keyboard item which doesn't have that setting.

Yes, the BIOS is up to date. I downloaded the latest BIOS updater for this device and it's already at that version.
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    @SteveJohnson
    Thanks for your update. At this point the only option is to wait for some updates to be pushed from Acer and Microsoft.  
  • nightowl00
    nightowl00 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

I have the exact same problem!!  This Switch 5 is not even usable.  I have to detach and reattach the keyboard every time it wakes up?  These are the problems I have discover and it makes using this laptop very painful.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/550473/switch-5-cortana-not-working#latest

There is got to be an easier way than detach the keyboard each time or 'wait' for Acer & Microsoft.

Another thing I don't understand is that I've set the power setting to 'Never' goes to sleep if it's plugged in.  I only have the screen to go off after 30 mins.  I wake up in the morning, the screen is blank.  I move the bluetooth mouse, sometimes it responds, sometimes it does not.  Today the bluetooth responded (lucky me), but the keyboard and touchpad simply do not respond.  I'm assuming that only the screen is blank out.  But, why would a simple screen blank out put the keyboard and touchpad out of commission?

Switch 5 seem to have a lot of problems on inputs.  Be it from bluetooth, keyboard, mouse, or mic.  Acer really needs to fix this.  If one needs to reboot the laptop every time one wants to use the laptop. This makes it not very portable.
  • nightowl00
    nightowl00 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Update: Called Acer Support on this issue and their solution is to reset the laptop to factory setting?  Basically erase all the programs and configurations I've worked on for hours in the past few days??  I told them, no thanks, if I'm going to do that then I might as well return the laptop and get one from a different company.
  • TECH_MAN
    TECH_MAN Ally Posts: 453

Hi SteveJohnson,

1: Disable Automatic Driver Updates

It is suspected that auto driver updates in Windows Update is causing this problem.

Even though Windows Update alleges to install the correct drivers, it is not uncommon that a lot of users have bad drivers provided by Windows which cause sorts of problems. Sometimes, Windows Update will replace the manual update drivers with its own drivers, which is unacceptable for some PCs. 

To fix your mouse and keyboard not working issue, you need to disable automatic driver updates from Windows. 

1) Click the Start button on your keyboard and click Control Panel. 

2) View by Category, click System and Security. 

3) Click System. 

4) Click Advanced system settings. 

5) Click the Hardware tab, then click Device Installation Settings. 

6) Click No, let me choose what to do and Never install driver software from Windows Update. Click Save Changes. 

2: Reinstall Mouse and Keyboard Drivers

Faulty or outdated mouse and keyboard drivers is very likely to be the cause of this problem. You should verify that your mouse and keyboard have the right drivers, and update if they don’t. 

If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your drivers manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy

Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. 

You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee): 

1) Download and install Driver Easy.

2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers. 

3) Click the Update button next to the flagged mouse and keyboard devices to automatically download and install the correct versions of their drivers (you can do this with the FREE version).

Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All). 

3: Change the Settings in Power Management

Faulty settings in Power Management is also one of the likely reasons for this problem. You can change to a different setting mode to see if the problem is resolved: 

1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time. Type devmgmt.msc and pressEnter. 

2) Expand Mice and other pointing devices. For keyboard driver, expand Keyboards. 

3) Right-click the device name of your mouse or keyboard driver and click Properties.

4) Click Power Management, make sure the box for Allow the computer to turn off his device to save power option is un-checked and click OK.

5) Reboot your computer. See if this problem occurs again.

_______Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • marvinh
    marvinh Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

This may sound too easy, but at the bottom right corner of the tray icons is notification box.  Click on the that box and notifications will open.  Then at the lower left is an icon to switch manually between tablet mode and PC mode...if you don't mind a couple of extra clicks.