need powerful CPU laptop but with Win7 drivers and HDD removable via cover underneath laptop

Options
LaptopFan94123
LaptopFan94123 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
What is the Acer laptop model line which has the most powerful CPU, while still  having Win7 drivers available, and a HDD that can be accessed by simply removing a cover underneath the laptop (i.e., not having to remove the keyboard) ?
The V5-171 fits these description of features needed, except that I'm wondering if there are some other models which match its features but have a more powerful CPU?
Thank you

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    Even older Aspire models have similar features. Which CPU are you looking for? Which AMD or Intel model? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• LaptopFan94123
    LaptopFan94123 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks but I'm not sure if you caught the title of my post, I'm searching for a laptop with a more powerful CPU, and of course, older laptops are unlikely to have that...

The Aspire V5-171 has an Intel Core i5 3317U. It can take 8GB of memory.
    I'm looking for a laptop that would have the other features I mentioned that the V5-171 has, but would furthermore have a more powerful CPU, both for getting more speed, and more RAM if possible (looking to use 16GB RAM).

Unfortunately, with newer laptops Acer has moved to models where the user cannot have easy access to the HDD, having to remove the keyboard, which requires a lot of skill and is risky for everyday users, you could easily damage the laptop in trying to do it.
    Also, in newer laptops Acer has abandoned the use of Win7, which is a problem for people who do not like the over-the-shoulder feeling of Microsoft control and intrusion you get with Win8 or Win10 running programs without you being able to see and uninstall them in the Control Panel, and almost requiring you to be logged in to Microsoft all the time, unless you are technically savy and know how to avoid it.

A laptop that has the older features but with a CPU commensurate with the newer models, will be in the cornerstone period between the old and the new, and these cornerstone models are rare. There are a myriad of Acer laptop model numbers, I wish a search on the Acer site could select them by Windows version from the start, then by CPU, before having to select one of the many model family categories! Then at least you would not have so many to look for to find the 3rd feature needed, a HDD that is accessible via a cover underneath the laptop.
    Without that smart search option, I can only ask users if they have a model that has the features needed (HDD cover underneath laptop, Win7 drivers) and a CPU that is more powerful than the Intel Core i5 3317U...

Hopefully there will be some replies listing these great models!.. Thank you very much  
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>Acer has abandoned the use of Win7>>>

Heh-heh. You mean like ACER abandoned WinXP as evidenced by its online store statement "Per Microsoft regulations, requests for Windows XP Pro recovery media are no longer supported." I agree with you on Microsoft. Its new & unimproved lifecycle & heavy-handed update policies are likely gonna give an alternative operating system environment an open window of opportunity to break the PCOS status quo over the next few years. I'll see what I can find in the older lines with Win7 driver support, like the V5-531 which'll take the i7-3517U. Some legacy BIOS updates do recognize & use more than the usual advertised 8GB max and have pin compatiblity with more powerful CPUs. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ