SSD not detected. Faulty or broken socket?

Polker709
Polker709 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
It started with PC hanging on boot-up screen then beeping to a black screen saying "reboot and select proper Boot Device" 
I've tried re-installing windows via USB, didn't work cuz no driver was found, tried cmd commands only to find that the driver was offline and wouldn't go online, no partitioners. 
My more-tech-savvy friend suggested gparted which showed that the SSD was not detected at all, not in BIOS either. 
I don't know if this is the right forum to post on, but it's an ACER TC-780 with the Intel 600p series SSD.

Answers

• Polker709

Tinkerer

Hi,
    Intel 600p series is a PCIe SSD and it's not compatible with your model, you  need a M.2 SATA SSD.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/505626/acer-asper-tc-780-can-not-install-a-ssd-with-pcie-m-2-interface

Yeah it is an m.2 SSD according to my friend, and it looks like one too. 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    NVMe/PCIe M.2 SSDs are different from M.2 SATA SSDs, I don't think your model supports PCIe/NVMe M.2 SSD.
    You need something like this:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-250GB-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00TGIVZTW
  • Polker709

Tinkerer

NVMe/PCIe M.2 SSDs are different from M.2 SATA SSDs, I don't think your model supports PCIe/NVMe M.2 SSD.
    You need something like this:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-250GB-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00TGIVZTW
    So it really isn't a faulty socket? The SSD that I have no I've been using since 2017 March, where sometimes this has happened and I've had to restart it 5-15 times until windows finally booted. But now nothing is booting at all. 
  • brummyfan2
    I am not sure how you managed to boot with this drive in your PC but it's incompatible with your PC, I don't think it may have damaged your motherboard, they either work or doesn't work, however, it's better to get your PC checked by a professional at a local repair shop.
  • Polker709

Tinkerer

Also, it looks like mine is NVMe/PCIe since they match at the end, they have 1 sp unlike the other one which has 2 spaces. I have no socket for an m.2 SATA 
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,
    No, both NVMe SSD and SATA SSD can physically fit in the slot of your MB  but only M.2 SATA SSD will work. 
  • Polker709

Tinkerer

Hi,
    No, both NVMe SSD and SATA SSD can physically fit in the slot of your MB  but only M.2 SATA SSD will work. 
    Okay I did not know that, sorry!

So if I get an M.2 Sata SSD it'll work? But I'm still confused over how this one has worked for so long. It's prebuilt, bear in mind.
  • brummyfan2
    No problem, no need to apologise, yes a M.2 SATA SSD is compatible with your motherboard, I am really surprised it worked in your system, it might have worked at SATA speed, I can not give you any reason as I have no idea. I am also not sure if it has done any damage to your motherboard, hence the reason for the suggestion to take it to a repair shop and let a technician have a look at it.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited April 2018
    There is a possibility that you need a BIOS update.  Because there is a hanging problem at post that was fixed through a BIOS update.....on the newer version of the TC-780

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

My guess is the hang bug and your incessant restarting caused the SSD to fail pre-maturely.....just a guess.  Maybe if you plead your case to Acer about the hang bug being the root cause, they'll take that under warranty consideration.

If you purchased the Intel 600p, it comes with a 5 year warranty.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005681/memory-and-storage.html
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • brummyfan2
    JordanB said:
    @brummyfan2

There's two different versions of the TC-780.  The newer version of the TC-780 (Kaby Lake) might support PCIe NVMe M.2.

Acer does use the Intel 600p as an OEM part on some computers.  So his computer **might** have come pre-installed with it.

@Polker709

Did you purchase the Intel 600p?  Or did your computer come pre-installed with it?

If you purchased the Intel 600p, then you can contact Intel and get a replacement under warranty.

If your TC-780 came pre-installed with the Intel 600p, then contact Acer support for warranty.  If you're trying to say that your warranty has expired, then there's not much we can do.  We're not Acer employees.  If you had a 1 year warranty and it failed at the 13 month point.....that's definitely a little disappointing.

Please post your complete model number......    TC-780-????

Thank you JordanB :)
  • Polker709

Tinkerer

JordanB said:
    There is a possibility that you need a BIOS update.  Because there is a hanging problem at post that was fixed through a BIOS update.....on the newer version of the TC-780

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

My guess is the hang bug and your incessant restarting caused the SSD to fail pre-maturely.....just a guess.  Maybe if you plead your case to Acer about the hang bug being the root cause, they'll take that under warranty consideration.

If you purchased the Intel 600p, it comes with a 5 year warranty.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005681/memory-and-storage.html
    How do I update my Acer? My friend told me to shove in a flash and put the FWUpdLcl64 file inside and boot computer. The only way my computer will boot a USB is via UEFI and legacy. Now I get this message: "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system. Press any key to restata."
  • JordanB
    @Polker709

1. Please don't attempt to update your BIOS right now.  And definitely don't attempt to update it using that method.
    2.  Please answer my questions in previous posts.

• Polker709

Tinkerer

JordanB said: 
    @brummyfan2

There's two different versions of the TC-780.  The newer version of the TC-780 (Kaby Lake) might support PCIe NVMe M.2.

Acer does use the Intel 600p as an OEM part on some computers.  So his computer **might** have come pre-installed with it.

@Polker709

Did you purchase the Intel 600p?  Or did your computer come pre-installed with it?

If you purchased the Intel 600p, then you can contact Intel and get a replacement under warranty.

If your TC-780 came pre-installed with the Intel 600p, then contact Acer support for warranty.  If you're trying to say that your warranty has expired, then there's not much we can do.  We're not Acer employees.  If you had a 1 year warranty and it failed at the 13 month point.....that's definitely a little disappointing.

Please post your complete model number......    TC-780-????
    Sorry. It's TC-780-GX-785.
    It came prebuilt. Warranty expired 1 month ago lol. 
  • JordanB
    edited April 2018
    Ok.  There's a TC-780 desktop.   And there's a GX-785 desktop.  They are two different models.

So we have to figure out which model you have.  :)

Please go in to your BIOS settings (turn on your computer and  quickly tap the Delete key).  Write down the first 10 characters of your serial number S/N and post it here.  Also, please post your BIOS version (this can also be found in the BIOS settings).