Can I upgrade my Memory.

hifinarr
hifinarr Member Posts: 2 New User
Can I upgrade my Memory to 8GB.I have a eMachines E725-4923 - 15.6" - Pentium T4400,with Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.I have 4025 MB  (DDR3-1066 DDR3 SDRAM) installed at this time.2 x 2 GB DDR3-1066 DDR3 SDRAM.Did anybody ever tried to Upgrade the Memory to 8GB and if so does it work and what kind of Memory was used.Factory Specs say 4GB is the max but sometimes this is not true.My Bios Version is 3.10.And there is no other Bios update that I can find,without having maybe to pay for it.If there is please someone let me know and send me a link to it or send me the Update if possible.
I know it is a old Notebook,but it works just fine,so I like to keep it that way.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Go to crucial dot com and either enter your computer model or download the scanner to see the specifications for available upgrades. You are correct in that sometimes the BIOS will recognize more than the advertised maximum RAM but is not 100% guaranteed. You just have to try it to see if it does. Do NOT mess with the BIOS firmware of a working machine!!! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hifinarr
    hifinarr Member Posts: 2 New User
    Already did that.Did not show anything on Memory at all since I already have the Max amount installed in my notebook according to MFG.But if you Just put in the Model and Manufacturer then it will show the memory that is recommended.4Gb max.A better Memory Finder is actually this one...
    https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/options
    If it is not a Legacy Product or Memory is already discontinued.This Finder will show the Real Max amount of Memory that can be installed,even if the MFG says otherwise.
    And I would not mess with the Bios unless I would have an Update, that I do not have and can not get.Notebook PC to Old.
    But Thanx for your reply.

• NumeroUno
    NumeroUno Member Posts: 1 New User
    Yes you can upgrade to 8GB. I have Emachines E725. The machine came with 3GB
    ddr3 memory. Initaillay I upgraded to 4GB, no problem.
    Then recently I put 2 pc3-10600 ddr3 1333 4gb modules in for a total of 8GB.
    THe emachines bios reported the 8GB. Also windows10 showed 8GB. Rans mem
    diag, all is good.

• Alphaprantar
    Alphaprantar Member Posts: 1 New User
    yes .update ram.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    >>>Already did that.Did not show anything on Memory at all since I already have the Max amount installed in my notebook according to MFG.But if you Just put in the Model and Manufacturer then it will show the memory that is recommended.4Gb max.A better Memory Finder is actually this one...https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/options>>>If it is not a Legacy Product or Memory is already discontinued.This Finder will show the Real Max amount of Memory that can be installed,even if the MFG says otherwise. And I would not mess with the Bios unless I would have an Update, that I do not have and can not get.Notebook PC to Old. But Thanx for your reply.>>>

Some but not all BIOS firmware can recognize and use twice the advertised maximum RAM.  But it is not 100% guaranteed. You just have to try it and see. My Win7 era netbook was model that recognized twice the advertised RAM. The crucial scanner is usually fairly accurate on whether or not your specific machine can  handle twice the RAM. However, by far the biggest speed increase for the money spent is simply replacing the HDD with an SSD.

Jack E/NJ