Nvidia g-sync on an external monitor on Helios 300

felipe88
felipe88 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I'm looking for a monitor that supports Nvidia g-sync to use as my external monitor for the predator helios 300.
G-Sync is only support through Display port connection. Does anyone was able to get g-sync to work on this laptop as this only have a hdmi port?

I just bought the Dell monitor s2716dg which supports g-sync using the display port. I tried this monitor in 2 different laptops (Helios 300, macbook pro) with an hdmi to display port adapter but nothing display on the screen (I tried all possible issues for display port on google with this monitor and nothing seems to work). I'm guessing it's an issue with monitor itself (although it works fine through hdmi but with no g-sync and just 60hz).

Has anyone able to connect to a g-sync monitor using helios?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    It is not possible to have G-sync via HDMI. Even if you use Hdmi-DP adapter, again the data is outputed from the helios' HDMI port. It is the port's limitation for not supporting G-sync, in other words you can't output G-sync from the laptop.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• felipe88
    felipe88 Member Posts: 3 New User
    It's frustrating having a gpu and a monitor that support g-sync but it end up not having a displayport. =/
  • pvcosta
    pvcosta Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    felipe88 said:
    It's frustrating having a gpu and a monitor that support g-sync but it end up not having a displayport. =/
    Thanks for asking. I was wondering the same thing. Sad to not have a Display port in such a expensive piece of hardware.Â