How to update BIOS without Windows in an attempt to install Ubuntu?

rinistic
rinistic Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello all,

I need your help with a problem I have when trying to install Ubuntu on Acer ES 11. I tried to install Ubuntu, erased Windows, but when I plugged out the bootable usb with Ubuntu, the lap top just shows the No bootable device message. I've read there is a problem with the UEFI/EFI option, which I don't have in my BIOS. I also tried several manual fixes, but still get the same result and cant find EFI/UEFI in BIOS after the installation to start Ubuntu. 

Please any suggestions on how I can do a BIOS update without having Windows installed so that I can install Ubuntu? 

Thank you

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited April 2018
    in a nutshell, you can't.  The BIOS updates come as an .exe and require MS to action.  If you have access to another machine (running MS),  and definitely required a BIOS update, personally I'd make a windows install USB from that one (a few ways to do it, but "windows media creation" tool is pretty straight forward), reinstall it on the one with issues, do the update then move onto Linux install.  Pain in the butt but c'est la vie.  
  • rinistic

Tinkerer

Also, are the bios updates on the acer website dependent on one another? Does the last update contain all the previous updates?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    @rinistic The bootable ubuntu stick must be GPT partition FAT32 format, not MBR partition. Use Rufus to create the GPT FAT32 bootable stick with the Ubuntu iso.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer
    >>>but still get the same result and cant find EFI/UEFI in BIOS
    and also not unter Security>select an UEFI File as trusted?
  • rinistic

Tinkerer

@beststevie no, UEFI doesn't appear anywhere in the BIOS options
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited April 2018
    @rinistic

You should post your complete model number.

If you have ES 11 ES1-132 you can read link below.  (read megaparsec and spektro37)

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/476726/es1-132-cannot-install-other-os-than-windows-10-bios-options-missing

Edit: In most cases, you can go straight to latest BIOS.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • rinistic

Tinkerer

@JordanB

Thanks, I also saw that post and tried that solution but it didn't work for me for some reason. The model number is ES 11 ES1-132-C4B8
  • JordanB
    Ok, I don't have an ES1-132, but if I did, I would read that thread if I was trying to install linux.  

If you need to update BIOS, in most cases you can go straight to latest BIOS.  Spektro37 said he was using BIOS 1.08

You can get windows from link below.  Use Microsoft's  Media Creation Tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I'm sorry, I don't have any other ideas.  Maybe some of the others can help you.  Good luck.
  • rinistic

Tinkerer

@JackE
      just tried you advice, but the same problem still occurs.

@JordanB
     Thank you , I will try again everything they have posted in that thread and see if something will eventually work. Thank you
  • JackE
    Have you tried to set a BIOS supervisor password yet, disable secure boot, and rearrange the boot order? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rinistic

Tinkerer

@JackE
     Yes, did all of the above. Did not help with UEFI showing up anywhere in the options
  • JackE
    Your UEFI bootstrapper does NOT have a legacy BIOS option if that's what you're looking for. I wouldn't recommend trying to run ubuntu on a BIOS machine anyway. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

To load Linux on a Spin1, I select "Erase the Store" in the BIOS (must set the system password first) and this will allow anything bootable. Then select "allow F12 boot" and reboot. Tap F12 before the Acer logo appears and should open a boot menu.

Also I prefer Win32DiskImager (must use "all files" to select an .ISO). Rufus is very powerful but you have to be careful to select the right options.

• notification
    notification Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I faced a similar issue with my Aspire A315-21 when I installed antiX, another Debian based distro, on a portable SATA disk that I run through USB for dual booting.

I installed linux on the disk and selected the option to install the boot manager (GRUB in my case) as an EFI file. Then in BIOS, under “Select an UEFI file as trusted” I drilled down following the path to the GRUB EFI file on my linux disk. Doing that will allow you to boot linux using UEFI and you will not have to resort to the Legacy MBR option or having to press F12 for a boot menu.

In my particular case I was initially encountering trouble because the BIOS "Secure Boot" Enabled" option had what I wanted to change grayed out. Under BIOS top menu SECURITY my Supervisor and User passwords were marked “CLEAR”. So, I entered a password for each of those. Apparently, unless you use passwords the BIOS may not allow you to change the “Secure Boot” option. After that, under top menu BOOT I could access the setting “Secure Boot:” and I changed it to “Disabled”. Then I was able to make changes. I made my UEFI changes (above) and after a reboot the settings defaulted back to “Secure Boot: Enabled”. However, the path to the EFI file remained and my linux disk appears as an entry under "Boot Order". It worked like a charm.

• JordanB