Options
2»

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @hadrons123

I'm using the same verbiage that Microsoft and Acer use......."Reset your PC"

Yes, reinstall would be a part of the "Reset your PC" process....when you click "Reset your PC"

Please go back and read those 4 steps that I gave you.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • hadrons123
    hadrons123 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited April 2018
    Options
    I am happy to say that I found a way.
    Its not a solution for everyone but it worked.

I removed the backcase. Unplugged the CMOS battery. The battery is hooked to the board through a red and black cable. Unplugged the socket. Next I unplugged the big battery cable. Left everything for a while. I found the reset button as well. Pressed it for 15 seconds. Didnt want to let any stone go unturned.... Plugged both CMOS battery and main battery into the Motherboard.

rebooted the system, pressed F2 voila... it worked. But somehow it still remembered by BIOS password. All other settings were reset. I hope somobody finds this useful. I installed Debian testing. 

I know what you guys might be thinking about warranty... Frankly I didn't care. But I trust costco... They probably wouldnt mind. In the future, Even if they didn't accept for any warranty... its ok.

For anyone reading this one piece of advice I would offer is, don't save your boot order in the BIOS with your thumb drive plugged. When you remove the thumb drive, Somehow it messes up the ability to Boot into the BIOS. I believe its a bug. 
    The safe alternative is enable F12 in bios, save bios settings, reboot to f12 and try to boot the thumb drive by switching the boot disc on f12. 
  • hadrons123
    hadrons123 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    I am happy to say that I found a way.
    Its not a solution for everyone but it worked.

I removed the backcase. Unplugged the CMOS battery. The battery is hooked to the board through a red and black cable. Unplugged the socket. Next I unplugged the laptop's big Acer battery cable attached to the other side of the motherboard. Left unhooked everything for a while. I found the reset button as well. Pressed it for 15 seconds. Didnt want to let any stone go unturned.... Plugged both CMOS battery and main battery into the Motherboard.

rebooted the system, pressed F2 voila... it worked. But somehow it still remembered the BIOS password. All other settings were reset. I hope somebody finds this useful. I installed Debian testing alongside windows. Now everything works as I expected. 

I know what you guys might be thinking about warranty... Frankly I didn't care. But I trust costco... They probably wouldnt mind. In the future, Even if they didn't accept for any warranty... its ok.

For anyone reading this one piece of advice I would offer is, don't save your boot order in the BIOS with your thumb drive plugged. When you remove the thumb drive, Somehow it messes up the ability to Boot into the BIOS. I believe its a bug. 
    The safe alternative is enable F12 in bios, save bios settings, reboot to f12 and try to boot the thumb drive by switching the boot disc on f12. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,557 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good for you! Congrats. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Deniz
    Deniz Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited April 2018
    Options
    Hi,

I can confirm that problem - it is reproducable on my Acer Spin 5 (SP515-51GN-82SS). By the way - a fantastic Notebook except for this bug...

I tried several times this week to install KDE Neon in Dualboot additionally to the pre-installed Windows 10 on my Spin and got at the end each time the same result:

1. At the end of the installation, KDE Neon asked whether I want to reboot or to continue trying it.
    2. The reboot did not work - I had to switch off the Spin in order to restart via power button
    3. Trying to get into BIOS / UEFI from then on via F2 led always to Blackscreen - the only choice was each time to switch off an then restart Spin via power key.
    4. Without using F2 the system started directly into Windows.

I found a way to re-enable the access to BIOS/UEFI in an italian forum (unfortunately I lost the link - sorry):
    => Access the EFI-Drive, in that Grub installs the GrubLoader and remove the directories NEON and UBUNTU.

After removing the mentioned directories i was access BIOS/UEFI as always via F2...

The question is:
    => How can we get rid of that bug - is there maybe a workaround to install Linux in Dualboot despite that bug?

Thanks a lot for any information on that matter.

Kind regards,

Deniz
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @Deniz

That's a good suggestion you gave to regain access.

On **most** Acer laptops, you can follow the instructions below for latest version of Mint or Ubuntu.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/538305/cant-access-uefi-after-installing-linux-dual-boot/p1

If you're having trouble with something other than Ubuntu/Mint, then I would search the forum for MegaParsec posts.  In the Linux threads he posts in, he explains some stuff.   

If your computer came pre-installed with Windows 10, then that is probably the only OS they (Acer) officially supports......so it's possible they don't consider it a bug.

Note:  The instructions in link above won't work on Cherry Trail, Bay Trail, and Apollo Lake...as far as I know.

I'm not an Acer employee.