Why Aspire 4935G sometimes starts with black dark screen?

yossibac
yossibac Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi all

Why Aspire 4935G sometimes starts with black dark screen?

if I close and open the lead it displays horizontal double split screen

if I connect external screen the problem on the laptop screen persists but on the external screen everything is normal

Thanks for helping 

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    First, get the new ribbon p/n dc02000mq00 so you don't have to take it apart again. Both AmazonUK & EbayUK have it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    yossibac 

Please try a power reset. Disconnect the charger and remove the battery. Unlock the battery lock, slide the battery release latch to remove the battery.  Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds. Connect only the charger and power On the laptop to check the issue.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • yossibac

Hi, Sharangi

Can you please explain what will this procedure achieve?

Do you suspect the battery?

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Hi@yossibac 

The motherboard includes a small buffer to ensure that power to the components that utilize onboard power remains uninterrupted. Depending on the motherboard's electrical design, the capacitors that construct this buffer may take several seconds to drain after the battery has been removed or disconnected.

The above power drain will drain residual power. It will not affect any data stored on your device. This issue is not caused by battery.
    Since the external display from your device is working fine, it could be an issue with the internal connectivity from mainboard to the LCD screen.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • yossibac
    edited April 2018

OK, thanks for the explanation, I have done what you instructed but I still get a black screen around 30% of times that I start the laptop.I have no evidence that it helps but I always adjust the angle of the screen in the hope that it would help, and that because that in the past it always happened when the screen was opened to the maximum. If it was a defective wire or loose connection somewhere you would expect to see a deterioration but I don't see that, also it never happened when the laptop was on and working. I had taken the laptop to bits including all the connectors and components but couldn't see anything wrong.

• JackE
    You probably need a new video ribbon cable as a conductor traceline has probably cracked and giving intermittent contact. Usually happens in the hinge area from wear and tear of opening and closing the lid too often. Usually pretty inexpensive less than $20 with free shipping from Amazon  or similar online vendor. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• yossibac
    OK, thanks Jack
    It had happened from the laptop almost being new, I sent the laptop twice to Acer for repair, but they didn't find the fault, so any more ideas before I take the laptop apart?
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    First, get the new ribbon p/n dc02000mq00 so you don't have to take it apart again. Both AmazonUK & EbayUK have it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• yossibac
    Hi Jack, thanks for the advice.
    I replaced the ribbon and fingers cross all seem OK. What I have done to test is, I installed the new ribbon and it was OK. I put the old ribbon back and had a black screen, and the new ribbon again, OK again, so hopefully that sorted the black screen out, but only time will tale.
    It's an utter sham that Acer didn't do anything when we still had warranty, I sent them the laptop twice. They lost a customer and earned an enemy. Shame on them.
  • JackE
    Intermittent conductor trace breaks are hard to troubleshoot. Only after prolonged and repeated opening/closing of the lid do these breaks become so wide that the problem is almost constant and you can actually see the cracks with a loupe inspection. That's why I no longer open/close lids as much as I once did whenever I stepped away from using the laptops. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• yossibac
    Well, at the time if we opened the lid to the maximum the fault appeared every time, and we reported it, but they done nothing, and even tried to charge us, If they couldn't repair, they had to replace the laptop or refund.That's the low , hence my former post.

• JackE
    @yossibac Which ACER service center handled your warranty request? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• yossibac
    I"m not sure but it's in the UK via a chain retailer COMET that went bankrupt since (maybe because of me) . :)

• JackE
    OK, did you arrange for the warranty service via the UK ACER SERVCE link at the bottom of this webpage? Or via Comet? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• yossibac
    Via Comet, we left the laptop with them, they sent it to Acer, and Acer checked, formated the hard dive and retured it unfixed, that happened twice, the second time Acer wanted to charge us 50 British pounds for delivery, so we gave up, that's how they manage to get rid of us. 
  • JackE
    Since Comet isn't around anymore I guess we'll never know the ACER center they allegedly used. Did Comet give you copy of either the ACER work order or ACER service report? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• yossibac
    Yes, they did give us something, but for the life of me I can't remember where it is