RAM Upgrade for A515-51G-53MR

Options
Mikad0
Mikad0 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have just purchased this laptop a couple weeks ago and am looking into upgrading the RAM. I have never tried to upgrade a computer let alone a laptop on my own before but am fairly confident in what I am doing, but would like the comfort of someone who knows what they're doing to say "go for it" lol.
Going through the task mngr it says the laptop has installed 2x4gb/2400mhz sodimm RAM, I have seen a lot of comments on other threads about it only being to run 2133mhz? I would like to pull the one card and install an 8gb card taking me upto 12gb of a possible 20.
Can I just pull the old card, plug in the new one and be good to go? (obviously powering down and disconnecting) Or do you have to change how the computer manages the memory usage?
Also is there any difference or preference to brands of RAM? I am looking between Crucial, G.Skill RIPJAWS, or a Kingston HyperX Impact??
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    edited March 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    4GB should be soldered into the mainboard. So yes you should be able to replace the 4GB with 8GB ddr4 2400MHz or greater. Crucial guarantees what they recommend will work. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    edited March 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    4GB should be soldered into the mainboard. So yes you should be able to replace the 4GB with 8GB ddr4 2400MHz or greater. Crucial guarantees what they recommend will work. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ