ACER SWIFT 3 SF315-41 PREVIOUS BIOS

Options
Mpegleris
Mpegleris Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
HELLO PPL!!! I have the ryzen 2500u version of swift 3. I downloaded and install the latest BIOS 1.04 but I saw very reduced benchmarks results than the first version this machine came with  1.02  In my opinion there are some meltdown/spectre patches at the latest bios versions and that's the reason. So I wanted to ask if someone knows where I can find the previous 1.02 BIOS version because there is not in Acer Support download drivers page. There are only 2 latest 1.03 and 1.04 bios versions. Thank you all for your advices. (Also asked in bios vendor but they guide me to ask acer...)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>I saw very reduced benchmarks results >>>

What benchmark app(s) are you using? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mpegleris
    Options

What benchmark app(s) are you using? Jack E/NJ
    I use Geekbench 4 and Passmark 9 (Performance Test).   There is a BIG difference specially on multicores...
  • JackE
    Options
    Have you checked your power options to see if they're still set to high perfomance? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mpegleris
    Options
    JackE said:
    Have you checked your power options to see if they're still set to high perfomance? Jack E/NJ

Yes several times. I'm almost sure there is some patches in newest bios version 1.04 that decrease the cpu performance. I done many times these tests immediately when I bought it with factory coming 1.02 bios and when I update at the last 1.04 I ascertain lower overall multicore performance. In geekbench 4 I had 10000 multicore score and now is 8000. Its big difference...
  • Mpegleris
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Also I checked out all of acer swift 3 ryzen 5 (2500u) scores and I realize that those with 1.02 bios had much better score (around 10000) than these with 1.04 (around 8000). So. Is there anybody who really knows whats inside in swifts bios anyway? And IF I still can find somewhere previous firmware bios for this laptop? Thank you so much =)
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry, I probably can only help you get to v1.03 at this time. But it's probably safer to wait for the next update. But I have no way of knowing how long that will take. Do you notice any performance degradation in games and programs, not benchmarks? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mpegleris
    Options
    Its not a big noticeable difference on casual use but if you render graphics or multi tasks you will see some significant difference...
  • Lunxi
    Lunxi Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi there,
    I have the same machine and also tried BIOS 1.04.
    I´d like to ask you one thing: when you have devices attached to the USB ports and shut down your laptop, are the USB ports still powered?
    I saw this behaviour on my Swift3 with BIOS 1.04. The USB ports are still powered after shutting down the machine.
    Regarding the performance, I can´t tell, if 1.04 really is slower, I do not run any benchmarks and see not much difference in desktop use.

• JackE
    Options
    @Lunxi >>>The USB ports are still powered after shutting down the machine.>>>

Try unplugging the charger to see what happens. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mpegleris
    Options
    Lunxi said:
    Hi there,
    I have the same machine and also tried BIOS 1.04.
    I´d like to ask you one thing: when you have devices attached to the USB ports and shut down your laptop, are the USB ports still powered?
    I saw this behaviour on my Swift3 with BIOS 1.04. The USB ports are still powered after shutting down the machine.
    Regarding the performance, I can´t tell, if 1.04 really is slower, I do not run any benchmarks and see not much difference in desktop use.

So. There is a program running at background. called ACER QUICK ACCESS. There is an option that offer to you to leave usb power on if you shut down the laptop. Check it out and change it to not usb power on.
  • JackE
    Options
    @Mpegleris Thanks. After only about a week, I had already forgotten about that possibility. :o Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kosianos
    Kosianos Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Options
    Hey all guys . 

I am on 1.02 and i just come here to ready some reviews of 1.04 before i install it ... And as i can see all of you have problems with this bios 1.04 but i am wondering whats the point to upgrade the bios if your system already runs smooth..... As i know all companys say never upgrade bios if you dont experience any problem with your system .... The only problem i thing with my swift 3 its the temperature did you notice any temperature decreace on 1.04 cause i thing they decreace the cpu perfomance to get better temperature on our systems ..
    sorry for my bad english
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>whats the point to upgrade the bios if your system already runs smooth[?]>>>

Excellent question @Kosianos !!! The answer is some people like to fix things that are not broken.  =) As for temps, anything less than about 90°C under performance plans loads is normal. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kosianos
    Options
    JackE said:

Excellent question @Kosianos !!! The answer is some people like to fix things that are not broken.  =) As for temps, anything less than about 90°C under performance plans loads is normal. Jack E/NJ
    so you suggest me to let my system as it is on 1,02?  my max temps on gaming its 82 with performance batery mode . i am also wondering if i need a cooler stand or something . cause now i got 2 books to get the laptop base up:P
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes. Keep v1.02. Don't do update. 82°C is very normal for CPU & GPU temperatures under high gaming load. I think raising off desk with 2 books is as good as a stand!! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kosianos
    Options
    JackE said:
    Yes. Keep v1.02. Don't do update. 82°C is very normal for CPU & GPU temperatures under high gaming load. I think raising off desk with 2 books is as good as a stand!! Jack E/NJ
    Thanks you for quick response sir have a nice Day ✌️😀
  • Kosianos
    Options
    sadly I did the upgrade cause from yesterday I start to have issues with youtube videos the screens goes green and purple and the laptop crashes after sometime screen freezes.... But that was so strange cause I was gaming for 3 4 hours in difrent games and nothing happens everything runs smooth I only had problem on Microsoft edge and google chrome when I am watching youtube videos.... it looks after the 1.4 the problem solved but I will leave a comment again in 2 days to tell the last results
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>But that was so strange cause I was gaming for 3 4 hours in difrent games and nothing happens everything runs smooth I only had problem on Microsoft edge and google chrome when I am watching youtube videos>>>

@Kosianos Thanks for your report. It will be interesting to see if you can try to reproduce conditions that you did yesterday. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Levi21xD
    Levi21xD Member Posts: 62 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Kosianos said:
    JackE said:

so you suggest me to let my system as it is on 1,02?  my max temps on gaming its 82 with performance batery mode . i am also wondering if i need a cooler stand or something . cause now i got 2 books to get the laptop base up:P
    Hey, guys can you help me... I need to know the tdp of this model is it 15w only or is it customizable from bios to tdp up which is 25w..reply is much appreciated 
  • JackE
    Options
    No. Only the G model. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ