[Q] Third monitor support

Options
adamo000
adamo000 Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi everyone! :)
I have a question. I'm owner of Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-571 and I'm thinking of connecting two external monitors to my PC. Is there is any way to do this? The only one HDMI port is used by Samsung monitor and if I want connect another one, I have no place to plug HDMI connector.. 
Is this even possible? 
Best regards,
Ad 

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    It might be possible to connect a second monitor via the USB-c port, but for this you need a USB-c to HDMI adapter.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    HI @ adamo000 

Since that computer only has one HDMI port, you would need some type of dock.

The Predator Helios 300 USB Type-C port only provides support for data connections. It is not possible to connect an external monitor to this port. You will need to use the HDMI port for connecting an external display.

For other models like Predator AG9-591 and AG9-791 You may connect up to three external displays. This will allow a total of four viewing screens.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • adamo000
    Options
    Hi @ven98 , @Sharanji
    I have only one HDMI port and as you wrote USB-C doesn't support any other protocol than data.. (it is a joke from users spending money..) 

@Sharanji , do you mean that kind of dock: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Display-Universal-Docking-Station/dp/B00C631EYU
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited March 2018
    Options
    adamo000 said:
    Hi @ven98 , @Sharanji
    I have only one HDMI port and as you wrote USB-C doesn't support any other protocol than data.. (it is a joke from users spending money..) 

@Sharanji , do you mean that kind of dock: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Display-Universal-Docking-Station/dp/B00C631EYU
    In all honesty, I have not found anyone who has used the USB-C for a monitor. It is pretty much considered you can only connect 1 external monitor.

Why? Because I do not believe the GTX1060 controls the graphics the USB-C outputs, so it's pretty pointless.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • adamo000
    Options
    In all honesty, I have not found anyone who has used the USB-C for a monitor. It is pretty much considered you can only connect 1 external monitor.

Why? Because I do not believe the GTX1060 controls the graphics the USB-C outputs, so it's pretty pointless.

Skelo
    You haven't found anyone because USB-C can't work as video signal. 

But, @Sharanji suggested to use dock. What do you thing about this?