Acer aspire e15-571 keyboard not working, need help

Options
Jafeth
Jafeth Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 2023 in Aspire Laptops
Hello,
I have an Aspire E15 e5-571 laptop and from one day to another half the keys on the keyboard stopped working.
I have disabled Filter Keys, reset the battery and still nothing. Could someone help me?
Thanks!
[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    Does Device Manager show any red or yellow warnings? If not, uninstall the keyboard drivers. Exit Device Manager. Then cold boot the machine and let Windows re-detect the keyboard devices and re-install their drivers. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AntoJoseph
    AntoJoseph Member Posts: 83 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    You may need to try an external keyboard to get into the laptop. Turn it off and then connect the external keyboard. Then once in Windows, try the following to see if you can fix it.

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
    2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver). 
    3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

Once back in, with the external keyboard still attached, shut down the computer again, detach the external keyboard and try starting it up without it.

If this doesn't work, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

You may also want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.
  • Learcio
    Learcio Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    So what do i do if that didnt work?
  • JackE
    Options
    @Learcio>>> So what do i do if that didnt work? >>>

Open Device Mgr. Uninstall the KB driver. Exit. Reboot and let Windows auto detect and re-install the driver. If it doesn't work, we try something else to rule in or rule out a hardware issue. We don't want to do that till you uninstall/re-install the driver first. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Magedeid
    Magedeid Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    i reinstalled but the num key and some other keys not working properly for example  i want to type 2
      its typing 42 and backspace key also not working properly

• JackE
    Options
    @Magedeid Uninstall the KB driver from Device Mgr. You don't reinstall anything. Just exit Device Mgr and reboot. Let Windows automatically re-detect the KB and install the driver for you. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mushahdi
    mushahdi Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited January 2019
    Options
  • mushahdi
    mushahdi Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

EXACTLY this happened to me, for the third time actually, I have an Acer Aspire E 15 (e5-575g), I was googling as usual, and suddenly the keyboard died, without any crash-report, which is found on the keyboard device property.

I tried EvErYtHiNg, uninstalling the keyboard drivers (with direct restarting after uninstalling and without restarting directly after but doing it manually).

I tried updating the drivers in 2 different ways, from online search and from searching on device.

I toggled the "filter keys" option and restarted the laptop after every change, but nothing changed.

I tried updating Windows 10.

I called ACER support, no solution from the team.

So I turned off the computer and left it for an hour.
    And when I turned it back on everything worked. All keyboard were back on.

The interesting thing is that None of the above tries ever resolved this issue, so I can only assume this is a hardware problem and if anyone who reads this facing the same issues, my recommendation is, send it to service! Because things like this will happen again.

• Boytravis27
    Boytravis27 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    IM facing the same problem with exactly the same pc

• lionelt
    lionelt Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

On Acer Aspire E 15 (E5-576-76J8)

• My whole keyboard stopped working from a day to the next. It's not a software problem, also in BIOS I can't use the keyboard.
    • I know it to be hardware-related, as very rarely, after minutes of randomly tipping on it, it will take an input.

My guess is that the issue is with the ribbon cable for the keyboard that other users have talked about. However, this seems like a rather unsafe part to manipulate (and as some of you might know, it's a pain to open that acer laptop, as one really needs to remove all roughly 10+5 screws on the back).

Does anyone else have feedback before trying this seemingly error-prone DIY repair? Also, Acer, really disappointed. I haven't used the laptop much, it never fell down, I don't live in an environment with moist air...

Thanks,

Lionel