Power Throttling

Options
jb2041
jb2041 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Own a new Swift 3 and having power throttling problems (as reported by XTU).

Playing Fortnite, FPS starts at 60 but quickly drops to 30s and then fluctuates between 5 and 20, which makes the game largely unplayable.

Any ideas on how I can improve (solve) the problem ?

-Model number: Acer Swift 3 - SF314-52G
-CPU: Intel 8250U
-GPU: MX150
-Operating system: Windows 10 Home

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    You can quickly enable, disable, or restrict the Power Throttling feature in Windows using the battery slider that appears when you click on the battery icon in your taskbar.

To disable Power Throttling, simply move the slider to the right to enable the Best Performance power plan. This will disable Power Throttling but it will increase the power consumption significantly as power saving functions are disabled as well in that mode.

You can decide which apps should be throttled. You can choose to stop Windows 10 from managing the CPU resources for a these apps. To do this, open Settings > System and select Battery option.

Next, choose Battery Usage by App from the left panel and locate the app you want to exclude from Power Throttling, and uncheck the option “Let Windows decide when this app can run in the background”. Once you disable the option, a new checkbox will appear, “Allow the app to run background tasks“. Check this option to allow the app to run in the background.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • jb2041
    jb2041 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks Sharanji, have adjusted the power / battery slider but it has no effect.

I've been into Task Manager and disabled Power Throttling on all apps, but still XTU reports Power Throttling activity.

I've made a change in the Registry to completely disable Power Throttling and guess what ? Yep, still throttling.

Anyone have any other ideas to try ?
  • NicolasBA
    NicolasBA Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Sharanji said:
    You can quickly enable, disable, or restrict the Power Throttling feature in Windows using the battery slider that appears when you click on the battery icon in your taskbar.

To disable Power Throttling, simply move the slider to the right to enable the Best Performance power plan. This will disable Power Throttling but it will increase the power consumption significantly as power saving functions are disabled as well in that mode.

You can decide which apps should be throttled. You can choose to stop Windows 10 from managing the CPU resources for a these apps. To do this, open Settings > System and select Battery option.

Next, choose Battery Usage by App from the left panel and locate the app you want to exclude from Power Throttling, and uncheck the option “Let Windows decide when this app can run in the background”. Once you disable the option, a new checkbox will appear, “Allow the app to run background tasks“. Check this option to allow the app to run in the background.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

jb2041 said:
    Thanks Sharanji, have adjusted the power / battery slider but it has no effect.

I've been into Task Manager and disabled Power Throttling on all apps, but still XTU reports Power Throttling activity.

I've made a change in the Registry to completely disable Power Throttling and guess what ? Yep, still throttling.

Anyone have any other ideas to try ?
    I'm really sorry if I don't give an answer, but I have the same problem and I was thinking that maybe it's because of the power mode. The power mode in my laptop is set to "Better Battery", but I don't remember set it to Better Battery. But when I slide it to Better Performance, the FPS of the game that I played rises. What I want to ask from both of you is that what is the default Power Mode in your laptops? Is it Better Battery or Better Performance? Thx.