Acer Aspire E5 A515-51-563W, Can it play GTAV?, Keyboard Backlights?

Options
Apellonia
Apellonia Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Greetings, so back story, I'm new to gaming on the PC and I don't really know a lot about laptops and such, but I got this laptop as a gift and I wanted to know if I could game on it (GTAV), I heard that I might need to buy something called a SSD for the performance, is this true and if it is what exact SSD do you recommend, once again I'm new to PC'S so please explain the terms and such. Also (while were at it), how do you turn on the Keyboard Backlights? I have tried the FN+F9 but sadly it did not work.
Thank you for reading and I hope to hear from anyone, I would really appreciate it. salute!
Acer Aspire E5 A515-51-563W: Specs
8GB RAM
1TB GB HDD
Intel HD Graphics, i5- 7200u 2.5GHZ With Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHZ
once again, I do not understand any of these spec except for the RAM, please explain, tell me what I need to do to this laptop to play GTAV!!!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    An SSD, solid state drive, should help speed up games but might not be too noticeable for the expense of replacing your mechanical 1TB HDD. Mechanical HDDs these days are quite fast and reliable. As for the keyboard backlight, some models have a photocell that detects and can be adjusted for ambient light conditions. Try to turn it on in a darkened room. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Apellonia

Tinkerer

Options
    Greetings, Thank You for replying, but I have e another question, if you would be so kind to answer it, so, today at about 2:00 I downloaded GTAV and I played it on the lowest setting but the game was not smooth at all, should I get the SSD then?, and will it improve the performance? I did a benchmark test and I'm getting FPS at about 20-30, so its very low...Thank You, Salute
  • JackE
    Options
    I suggest first check that your power plan is set for performance. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Apellonia

Tinkerer

Options
    What do you mean exactly

• JackE
    Options
    Open Control Panel or Settings. Search for "power plan". Click on choose a power plan or something similar. Select high performance setting. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Apellonia

Tinkerer

Options
    its just giving me stuff about my battery and such, nothing about performance

• JackE
    Options
    Then click on a button to create your own power plan. And make it high perfomance. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Apellonia

Tinkerer

Options
    oh ok I got you now, other than that is their anything I could do to improve the performance with I'm gaming?

• JackE
    Options
    Well, yes. Some folks have reported almost a step function improvement in certain games by maxing out the memory to 20GB and replacing the removable 4GB ddr4 module with a 16GB ddr4 module. You won't like the 16GB module prices though. You might see additional improvement with an SSD depending on how often the game has to dip into mass storage. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Apellonia

Tinkerer

Options
    Okay, thank you for your help, I will look into those ram upgrades and ssd's, any recommendations... 
  • JackE
    Options
    Go to crucial dot com for recommended upgrades just for the hardware specs even if you don't purchase there. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ