USB recover stick question

JHP
JHP Member Posts: 114 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I think this would apply to any Acer that a user would like to make a USB recovery stick/chip
But - is there a system difference between a micro SD vs a regular SD card in terms of the usage for making a recovery stick?
I am have having problems trying to make USB rec stick from a micro SD - the micro is 16 GB
This is for a Acer Aspire One 11 model
Forgive me this isnt in the right forum thread - dont know where to put this

Jeff

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>I am have having problems trying to make USB rec stick from a micro SD - the micro is 16 GB>>>

A USB stick and a microSD card are different animals, Jeff. You know that. Generally speaking, the BIOS can be set to boot from a USB stick but not an SD or microSD card. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JHP
    Answer ✓
    so this is a notice to anyone that wants to make a recovery USB chip - it has to be a dedicated/complete chip - not a micro SD

:)

Jeff

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>I am have having problems trying to make USB rec stick from a micro SD - the micro is 16 GB>>>

A USB stick and a microSD card are different animals, Jeff. You know that. Generally speaking, the BIOS can be set to boot from a USB stick but not an SD or microSD card. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JHP
    Answer ✓
    so this is a notice to anyone that wants to make a recovery USB chip - it has to be a dedicated/complete chip - not a micro SD

:)

Jeff

• MAMAspire
    MAMAspire Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I have made tje mistake of trying to create a recovery media using a 32GB SD Card (twice already.. ) and the process stops at the end saying the Windows can not format the card successfully. Now, the cards are useless, I can not mount them in any machine. Is there a way to make them recognizable again ? Have I completely destroyed them ?
    Thanks for your help
    Manuel
  • JackE
    You should be able to recover the sd card. Google "sd card" "format" "windows 10" without the quotes and follow the lifewire instructions Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ