KDE Neon (Ubuntu 16.04) on Aspire E15 i5-8200U Laptop?

bundito
bundito Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited March 18 in 2018 Archives
Hi all. 

I’m looking for some solid info on installing KDE Neon on the newest-gen Aspire E15 laptop, model number E5-576G-5762. The exact item I’m looking at is on Amazon: 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FLBJV7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_u2HOAbHXE206E

I’m mostly concerned about driver support for the trackpad and the WiFi chipset. These seem to be the most common places for Linux support to be problematic. 

Someone on Amazon reviewed this and said it’s “impossible” to boot directly into Linux. That doesn’t sound right to me. I don’t plan to dual-boot - I plan on removing the included Win10 and immediately replacing it. 

FYI: the distro really does need to be KDE Neon, as I’m working on becoming a KDE developer. They have a developer edition that continually updates the KDE software and backend libraries. 

Thanks!

Best Answer

• pawelg
    pawelg Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    Sounds possible, I just installed today Ubuntu on Aspire 5 with i5-8250u so it's new model as Yours with new bios (F2)...in bios You need to enable 'F12 button boot menu' and probably disable secure boot, during linux installation there will be asking about disable this either way to install 3rd party software. After installation complete and reboot just press F12 to get into uefi boot menu where windows and linux will be available and after choosing linux the grub menu should appears. It's better to keep Winsows alongside Linux in SSD hard drive, I would opt for that. Either way the bios has stored Windows 10 serial number so back to Windows 10 is no problem by just using windows 10 installation creation tool from web. KDE....5.13 seems to be interesting btw :-)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    You might wanna read this comparison between Neon and the Mint kde release. I found 18.3 to be impressive and polished. Only GUI installations where everything seemed to work on my Win10 machines. Not even using Win10 on it any more---no more worrying about  how the next WinUpdate is gonna screw up the machines ---Yay. While seemingly not as polished, Neon should be easy to get up and running but maybe not as easy to get everything working as it should. Jack E/NJ

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=247170

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    BTW before removing win 10 you might want to backup your license keys, create a recovery drive, and save a System Image. That way if you decide to go back or sell your laptop you can always restore the original Windows.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    I agree Padgett. Or like I did, also make it dual boot with grub at the top with a small-size Win10 system, retain recovery partition, and then forgot about Win10 still being on the machine. Win10 is so easy to forget with all the better alternatives out there these days.  =) Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited March 2018

OK, if it were me, that E15 has a 256GB SSD. I'd shrink the C: partition by 100GB and create a new NTFS partition. Then I'd use a live Linux distribution to install on the new partition maintaining dual boot with Grub. I have a desktop doing just that, I just use two different drives but boots into a Grub menu with Linux and Windows as selections.

If the live disto can run, then the system should be compatible.

• pawelg
    pawelg Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    Sounds possible, I just installed today Ubuntu on Aspire 5 with i5-8250u so it's new model as Yours with new bios (F2)...in bios You need to enable 'F12 button boot menu' and probably disable secure boot, during linux installation there will be asking about disable this either way to install 3rd party software. After installation complete and reboot just press F12 to get into uefi boot menu where windows and linux will be available and after choosing linux the grub menu should appears. It's better to keep Winsows alongside Linux in SSD hard drive, I would opt for that. Either way the bios has stored Windows 10 serial number so back to Windows 10 is no problem by just using windows 10 installation creation tool from web. KDE....5.13 seems to be interesting btw :-)