Predator G3-710 (i7 7700 + 1060 6GB) Overheating

Bardy
Bardy Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
Acer Predator G3-710 - i7-7700, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB

TL;DR
- CPU is overheating at heavy load (exceeding 90°C)
- Limited CPU usage to 95% as a workaround
- GPU is getting quite hot under heavy load (up to and possibly exceeding 85°C)
- Limited most games to 60 FPS to reduce temps
- Is this just how it is, or is it some kind of manufacturing issue?

Longer explanation with context:
I purchase this PC, eventually go to render a video. I notice with MSI Afterburner that CPU temps shoot up to over 90°. I limit CPU usage to 95%, disabling Intel Turbo Boost and sort of solving my heat issues. The GPU has a little support arm blocking the vent. I left the case on in the following images to show the vent position:
To help visualise: https://i.imgur.com/CRnAmFF.png
The original image: https://i.imgur.com/m4MrWc1.png

In reference to the first link, the red box is the GPU, the green is the support arm thing that blocks the vent. The orange bit is the GPU's exhaust port, and hot air accumulates around the blue part with nowhere to go because the vent is blocked. This seems like a design flaw, the support arm doesn't seem to be removable either.

If these are somehow manufacturing faults, I can return it on warranty. If this is how the computer is intended to be, I'll be disappointed, but I am able to upgrade the case and cooler if required. Does anyone have an explanation?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Short bursts of peak temperatures ~95°C shouldn't be a problem. The system should automatically shut down approaching 98°C to protect the processor.  If it were mine and still under warranty, I would not worry too much at this point and try to fix things that aren't problems yet. Just tax the CPU & GPU as heavily as possible while it's still under warranty. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Danielsouto
    Danielsouto Member Posts: 1 New User
    Tengo el mismo problema que tú, soy de España y tengo un Acer G3-710 con CPU: 7 7700, 32 gb ram, gtx 1050ti (4gb) y mi CPU is overheating 99 playing any game or exporting a video y downloaded the msi afterburner and i put all the fans at 100% but it continues at 95, 97 more or less that is not normal to have the temperature like that i`m very disappointed have an acer G3-710 and have this problem it´s stupid 
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    It is possible that the thermal paste has gone bad, so I suggest repasting the CPU with high quality thermal paste. It is also possible that there is dust accumulated inside, so you remove any accumulated dust and check if the temperatures will get better.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• PCgeek0
    PCgeek0 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Bardy said:
    Acer Predator G3-710 - i7-7700, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB

TL;DR
    - CPU is overheating at heavy load (exceeding 90°C)
    - Limited CPU usage to 95% as a workaround
    - GPU is getting quite hot under heavy load (up to and possibly exceeding 85°C)
    - Limited most games to 60 FPS to reduce temps
    - Is this just how it is, or is it some kind of manufacturing issue?

Longer explanation with context:
    I purchase this PC, eventually go to render a video. I notice with MSI Afterburner that CPU temps shoot up to over 90°. I limit CPU usage to 95%, disabling Intel Turbo Boost and sort of solving my heat issues. The GPU has a little support arm blocking the vent. I left the case on in the following images to show the vent position:
    To help visualise: https://i.imgur.com/CRnAmFF.png
    The original image: https://i.imgur.com/m4MrWc1.png

In reference to the first link, the red box is the GPU, the green is the support arm thing that blocks the vent. The orange bit is the GPU's exhaust port, and hot air accumulates around the blue part with nowhere to go because the vent is blocked. This seems like a design flaw, the support arm doesn't seem to be removable either.

If these are somehow manufacturing faults, I can return it on warranty. If this is how the computer is intended to be, I'll be disappointed, but I am able to upgrade the case and cooler if required. Does anyone have an explanation?

Thanks in advance.
    I would recommend you to add new thermal paste to the CPU. If this does not works, the you can also try under-clocking your CPU.
  • Bardy
    Bardy Member Posts: 2 New User
    This thread is almost a year old. Acer support told me that it's normal, so I installed a new motherboard, PSU, and CPU cooler and threw it in a better case. While I was planning the upgrade, I re-applied thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5) and locked my CPU to 95% max usage (prevents automatic boosting to 4.00GHz) as a temporary workaround.

For anyone with similar issues to what I described in the OP, I'd suggest a CPU cooler, which most likely requires a new motherboard, then putting it all in a new case for better airflow. You may need a new PSU as well, as the PSU that came with my G3-710 had very short cables (way too short for a Thermaltake Chaser Mk 1). The GPU was still thermal throttling, but CPU temperatures were fine due to the aftermarket cooler. I eventually replaced the 1060 with a 2080 too.