Acer Nitro 5 AN515-31 non-NVMe support.

Options
vlad81817
vlad81817 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Can Acer Nitro 5 AN515-31 support simple m.2 ssd like for example Samsung 860 Evo ? Or laptop can use only NVMe SSD's?

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

This model supports M.2 2280 for SSD (PCIe/SATA Co-lay) Single-sided SSD
    The Chipset has two associated connectors for M.2 expansion cards.
    One for Wifi (half card) and the other for SSD (Full or half card).

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

• drake666
    drake666 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Sharanji said:

Do this laptop support nvme? And what is PCIe/SATA Co-lay ? Also please explain the half card / full card thing.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    Options
    drake666 said:
    Sharanji said:

Do this laptop support nvme? And what is PCIe/SATA Co-lay ? Also please explain the half card / full card thing.
    Hi,
    Yes, it supports NVMe SSD,  the slot in your laptop can be used for M.2 NVMe/PCIe SSD or M.2 SATA SSD, that means it's compatible with both types of SSD.

• atonement
    atonement Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited July 2018
    Options
    drake666 said:
    Sharanji said:

Hi,
    Yes, it supports NVMe SSD,  the slot in your laptop can be used for M.2 NVMe/PCIe SSD or M.2 SATA SSD, that means it's compatible with both types of SSD.

Hi. I also bought the same laptop.Is their any restriction regarding what brand SSD is compatible? I am asking because my friend's Acer Ryzen Swift 3 only accepted Intel 600p SSD. It seems that there was some sort of BIOS whitelist. Thanks.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    atonement said:
    drake666 said:
    Sharanji said:

Hi,

Hi. I also bought the same laptop.Is their any restriction regarding what brand SSD is compatible? I am asking because my friend's Acer Ryzen Swift 3 only accepted Intel 600p SSD. It seems that there was some sort of BIOS whitelist. Thanks.
    Hi,
    No, others have installed Samsung 960 Evo as well, in theory, any PCIe/NVMe SSD should work.
    http://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Nitro-AN515-31/68612
  • atonement
    Options
    atonement said:
    drake666 said:
    Sharanji said:

Hi,

Hi,
    No, others have installed Samsung 960 Evo as well, in theory, any PCIe/NVMe SSD should work.

Do you have any idea whether Samsung 970 Evo will work? As its 10% cheaper than the 960 Evo. Thanks.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    atonement said:
    atonement said:
    drake666 said:
    Sharanji said:

Hi,

Hi,

Do you have any idea whether Samsung 970 Evo will work? As its 10% cheaper than the 960 Evo. Thanks.
    Yes, it should work, Samsung 970 Evo is an upgraded version of 960 Evo.
  • atonement
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Also what about the Samsung PM961? Its the OEM version of 960 Evo? And is their a disassembly guide somewhere? And is an M.2 screw included in the motherboard?
    Edit: Adata Gammix S11 is currently the cheapest NVMe SSD I can find but its double-sided. So it won't fit?
  • atonement
    Options
    atonement said:
    Also what about the Samsung PM961? Its the OEM version of 960 Evo? And is their a disassembly guide somewhere? And is an M.2 screw included in the motherboard?
    Edit: Adata Gammix S11 is currently the cheapest NVMe SSD I can find but its double-sided. So it won't fit?

@brummyfan2 Sorryfor bothering again. Could you please take a look at this post? I have not had much success in finding related info.Thanks again.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    atonement said:
    atonement said:

@brummyfan2 Sorryfor bothering again. Could you please take a look at this post? I have not had much success in finding related info.Thanks again.
    Hi,
    I have no experience with PM961, so can not tell you much about it but if it's much cheaper than a 960 Evo, then install it at your own risk, please compare the specs in the link below, I have attached a link from youtube but it's in Russian, the method you can follow by watching it for disassembly, it's hard to say whether the laptop comes with the screw or not, I have received one laptop with a screw and the other one without the  screw for M.2 SSD.
    https://www.flexxmemory.co.uk/solid-state-drives-ssd/samsung-pm961-m-2-ngff-pcie-solid-state-drive-ssd/samsung-pm961-256gb-m-2-ngff-pcie-gen3-x4-nvme-solid-state-drive-ssd-oem-2280-mzvlw256hehp-00000/
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-V6E250BW-250GB-Express-Solid/dp/B01M211K53
    http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-PM961-NVMe-PCIe-M2-256GB-vs-Samsung-960-Evo-NVMe-PCIe-M2-250GB/m174249vsm200373
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCXibO1M_FI
  • HarshJatinder
    HarshJatinder Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    If i install m.2 will it void warranty? because i will have to remove the hologram sticker to unscrew the back.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    If i install m.2 will it void warranty? because i will have to remove the hologram sticker to unscrew the back.
    If you find a warranty warning on the sticker, you have to get the upgrade done by the Acer service centre, however, you could try contacting your local Acer Support centre to get the confirmation that you won't void warranty by opening the back cover.
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
  • atonement
    Options
    If you find a warranty warning on the sticker, you have to get the upgrade done by the Acer service centre, however, you could try contacting your local Acer Support centre to get the confirmation that you won't void warranty by opening the back cover.
    Why does HWinfo show that there is no empty PCIe slot? There are 3 slots listed with one at x4 and the other two at x1. There is no x2 listed. Please check the attached screenshots. 
    1.png 172.6K
    3.png 172.7K
    4.png 172.5K
  • atonement
    Options
    Hi. As per the email conversation I had with Acer India CC you have to get the SSD installed at an authorised service centre only. But the service charges are hefty. One of my friends was charged 750+18% GST for his Acer Swift 3 recently. 
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    atonement said:
    Why does HWinfo show that there is no empty PCIe slot? There are 3 slots listed with one at x4 and the other two at x1. There is no x2 listed. Please check the attached screenshots. 
    HWiNFO program useful only for older E and F series models and a few, not helpful in finding the NVMe support in newer models. Regarding the installation cost, you have to talk to the local Acer Support centre and they may be able to help you. 
  • Tako28
    Tako28 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Guyz this laptop Acer nitro AN515-31 have additional slot for SSD or i have to change my HDD for SSD?