Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Brand New Nitro 5, Mouse Pointer Freezes When Opening New Program

bnasty5bnasty5 Posts: 21Member Troubleshooter
edited March 2018 in Nitro and Aspire Gaming
So I just got a new Acer Nitro 5 and I'm having an issue where the mouse pointer freezes momentarily when the computer is loading a new program or opening an new tab on Firefox. I've tried multiple mice and the trackpad and they're all having the same issue. I'm guessing it must be some kind of bloatware that's causing it. Anyone else had this issue? Thanks

Best Answer

• bnasty5bnasty5 Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
    Accepted Answer
    I believe I've solved it, by going into Nvidia's control panel and disabling the Intel integrated graphics it seems to have eliminated the mouse stuttering. 

FAQ & Answers

• brummyfan2brummyfan2 Posts: 11,802ACE Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Have you tried uninstalling the driver for your touchpad and reboot to let Windows install the driver? If not, give it a try.
    Please don't click "Like" but click "Yes" for "Did this answer the question", if I resolve the problem.
  • bnasty5bnasty5 Posts: 21Member Troubleshooter
    I just tried your suggestion, uninstalled the touchpad in device manager but no luck unfortunately.
    OK, try a battery reset, switch off the laptop, disconnect the AC adapter, follow the instructions in the video, leave the laptop to rest for 15-20 Mins before starting again.
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset
    Please don't click "Like" but click "Yes" for "Did this answer the question", if I resolve the problem.
    No luck with that either, thanks for the suggestions though.
    Sorry, run out of ideas but please wait for someone else to chime in.
    I'm thinking I should maybe do a complete clean install of windows 10, is there any walkthrough for doing that on a nitro 5?
    Accepted Answer
    I believe I've solved it, by going into Nvidia's control panel and disabling the Intel integrated graphics it seems to have eliminated the mouse stuttering. 
    bnasty5 said:

Glad you got it sorted, thanks for posting the solution :+1:
  • CamiloJonesCamiloJones Posts: 1Member New User
    bnasty5 said:
    Hey bnasty5, how did you solve that? I having the same issue here. Can you describe a little deeper the workaround you did? Thanks dude!!!!!
    I'm curious if your issue is the same as mine. If you right click on desktop is there a slight freeze before the menu comes up? That's what's happening for me, also switching between tabs on Firefox was freezing the mouse.

I think it's an issue with the integrated graphics, my processor is a i5-7300hq. 

I can't seem to get rid of it completely, the mouse will still freeze before the GTX 1050 gets running but after that it mostly seems to go away.

This is what I did, go into the Nvidia Control Panel, go to Manage 3D settings, change the Preferred Graphics Processor to High-performance NVIDIA processor. 

Then go over to Program Settings and set Firefox or Chrome to use the High-performance NVIDIA processor, that got rid of all the lag on Firefox for me. 

Does anyone know of a way to get the GTX 1050 to activate instantly on startup or basically take over everything the integrated graphics is currently doing?

Apparently it's a major issue with duel GPU laptops running Intel and NVIDIA, the only current work around is to keep the NVIDIA GPU active which will utterly destroy your battery life. Hope they come up with a driver fix soon.

More info here https://communities.intel.com/thread/119093?start=300&tstart=11