No Bootable Device | Can't boot past BIOS

Options
dr0pthehamm3r
dr0pthehamm3r Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
My Acer Predator Helios 300 (G3-572) ran into an issue where I went to restart it and upon doing so, I was presented with "No Bootable Drive".  I've tried going through bios and boot orders to get to Boot Manager.  I've tried to switch between Legacy and UEFI but it seems to be hit and miss.  Even when selecting Legacy, the boot order appears sometimes, but in Boot Manager, no boot disks appear.

I've tried to create a USB/Windows Repair disk but I cant seem to access even that.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    you must set UEFI, the first bootable device must be windows boot manager not any HDD or SSD.
    enable F12 boot menu, switch to UEFI, plug your USB recovery media and save and  exit BIOS.
    at boot press F12 and check if the NMVe or USB flash drive is listed; if none is listed, an EFI file is missing.

try to create a new vanilla windows 10 installation media:
    1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool:
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data *
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot if it's a laptop or Del key if it's a desktop, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 or Del key to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    It is possible that the storage device that windows is installed has died or malfunctioning.

I suggest you to try resetting the battery.

If it doesn't work try resetting the BIOS to factory settings and if that doesn't help the last thing you can do is open the laptop and re-connect the storage device or straight call Acer support.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• dr0pthehamm3r

Tinkerer

Options
    I should hope not. When I set the environment to legacy and restart bios, it shows the full boot list.  However, will not boot to windows from there.  When I rearrange the boot order in bios, I get the PXE-E61 / PXE-M0F errors.

If I load into Boot Manager, I can see the NVMe drive (opt 1), HDD (opt 2), or Network Boot: RealTek PXE 300 B03 D00 (opt 3).  Neither of which prevail.  I cannot seem to get my Windows Repair disk USB to be seen either.

I've also tried the battery reset and no solution through that either.
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options
    you must set UEFI, the first bootable device must be windows boot manager not any HDD or SSD.
    enable F12 boot menu, switch to UEFI, plug your USB recovery media and save and  exit BIOS.
    at boot press F12 and check if the NMVe or USB flash drive is listed; if none is listed, an EFI file is missing.

select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    click on Start
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot if it's a laptop or Del key if it's a desktop, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 or Del key to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device
  • ven98
    Options
    The error pxee61 indicates a drive failure. Disconnecting and reconnecting the drive might help.
     I cannot seem to get my Windows Repair disk USB to be seen either.
    Have you used the windows tool to create the recovery drive and have you checked 'back up system files to recovery drive'?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ven98
    Options
    Try what IronFly suggested.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• dr0pthehamm3r

Tinkerer

Options
    IronFly said:

2) download Rufus:
    click on Start
    I had to track down another machine and build another bootable USB.  Wiped the NVMe drive and installed WIn10 in an UEFI environment.  Ran all windows/driver updates and restarted when needed.  No problems just yet.  However, when I peeked back into the BIOS, in the Boot tab, the only drive listed in there was the Windows Bootable disk.  Not the NVMe or HDD.

I'm worried I'm going to encounter yet another issue.  Anything need to be switched back or taken care of further in Win10? I can't afford to keep wiping/reinstalling OS/Apps.
  • dr0pthehamm3r

Tinkerer

Options
    Also, I believe there is a newer version of my BIOS.  Can I skip ahead in versions or should I perform the incremental updates (found here), one by one?
  • IronFly
    Options
    Only windows boot manager on boot list is ok and i don't think you need other things on windows 10, apart doing a system image as backup once you ended to install your apps.

About BIOS, go straight to the latest.
  • dr0pthehamm3r

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks buddy.  Once I got all the drivers in place, I created a restore point.  I'll look into a backup image as well.

thanks for the tip on the bios as well.
  • Thandrin
    Thandrin Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I had the "no bootable device" error, the above post about resetting the battery did the trick. thanks.
  • Pillz
    Pillz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have a problem with my acer Aspire 3 A315-31-C425 it show no bootable device and it brings complications when I try to reset it.

I realy need your assistance