Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

I think my Laptop is underperforming

HechlaHechla Posts: 5Member New User
edited March 2018 in Nitro and Aspire Gaming
Hello, 

I have the problem that my acer Aspire V 15 Nitro - Black Edition has way to low performance in games.
My laptop has very low FPS in games like Overwatch where i can only achieve 30-40 FPS on "medium" settings but my friends with worse laptops have better performance and according to the internet
I should be able to play Overwatch on "Ultra" settings (when i try i have 10-20 FPS in the menu and in game i have 2-10 FPS) on other games like Doom 4 and Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy it 
does'nt get any better. I made sure to install all the drivers correctly and formated my HDD and SSD and reinstalled Windows 10. I also sent my laptop to get repaired 1 or 2 weeks back because my CPU and GPU would often be as hot as 100°C, but after I got my laptop back that problem was fixed (the performance was'nt better before i got my laptop back).
Is there anything I can do?

System: 
GTX 1060 6BG
Intel Core I7 7700HQ
16GB RAM (it got upgraded from 8 GB)
Windows 10 64bit
250GB SSD
1TB HDD

FAQ & Answers

  • ven98ven98 Posts: 4,046ACE Pathfinder
    Go to nvidia control panel and from 3d settings set 'high performance nvidia' as preferred graphics processor.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

    Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.


    Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

  • HechlaHechla Posts: 5Member New User
    ven98 said:
    Go to nvidia control panel and from 3d settings set 'high performance nvidia' as preferred graphics processor.
    I already did all of these things but sadly it does'nt help.
  • HechlaHechla Posts: 5Member New User
    Hechla said:
    ven98 said:
    Go to nvidia control panel and from 3d settings set 'high performance nvidia' as preferred graphics processor.
    I already did all of these things but sadly it does'nt help.
    What I meant is i basically tried everything i could find online
  • ven98ven98 Posts: 4,046ACE Pathfinder
    Well, I don't know what exactly you have tried, so I can only assume.
    Make sure you do all of the following:
    Set the power plan to max performance from windows and nvidia control panel.
    Go to power options>change plan settings(on the selected power plan)>change advanced power settings> Pci express>link state power management set it to 'off' on both battery and plugged in. Then go to processor power management and set the max processor state to 100% on both battery and plugged in.

    If none of these work instalk the latest nvidia driver from nvidia.com and install the intel driver available here.

    Make sure the laptop is connected to charger while gaming, as it doesn't utilize max performance when on battery power only.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

    Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.


    Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

  • HechlaHechla Posts: 5Member New User
    ven98 said:
    Well, I don't know what exactly you have tried, so I can only assume.
    Make sure you do all of the following:
    Set the power plan to max performance from windows and nvidia control panel.
    Go to power options>change plan settings(on the selected power plan)>change advanced power settings> Pci express>link state power management set it to 'off' on both battery and plugged in. Then go to processor power management and set the max processor state to 100% on both battery and plugged in.

    If none of these work instalk the latest nvidia driver from nvidia.com and install the intel driver available here.

    Make sure the laptop is connected to charger while gaming, as it doesn't utilize max performance when on battery power only.
    I tried all of this but it still did'nt work
  • ven98ven98 Posts: 4,046ACE Pathfinder
    The laptop most likely is running the game with the intel graphics and doesn't use the dedicated GPU.

    Does this issue persist in other games too or it is on this game only? 

    You can try from nvidia 3d settings, program settings to adjust the settings manually for this game only.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

    Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.


    Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

  • HechlaHechla Posts: 5Member New User
    edited February 2018
    ven98 said:
    The laptop most likely is running the game with the intel graphics and doesn't use the dedicated GPU.

    Does this issue persist in other games too or it is on this game only? 

    You can try from nvidia 3d settings, program settings to adjust the settings manually for this game only.
    I have this issue in every game I play and i did set my computer to use my GPU in the nvidia control panel.
  • ZeroKelvinZeroKelvin Posts: 2Member New User
    Did you get a solution?
  • SkelomorphSkelomorph Posts: 463ACE Pioneer
    edited March 2018
    Hechla said:
    ven98 said:
    The laptop most likely is running the game with the intel graphics and doesn't use the dedicated GPU.

    Does this issue persist in other games too or it is on this game only? 

    You can try from nvidia 3d settings, program settings to adjust the settings manually for this game only.
    I have this issue in every game I play and i did set my computer to use my GPU in the nvidia control panel.
    When the game is open, try going into Settings > Gaming and disabling Game bar, Game mode, and Game DVR and see if that helps any. 

    Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

    Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • gr_reaper_20gr_reaper_20 Posts: 111Member Skilled Fixer
    When you launch the game, right click on the game icon and select run with nvidia processor.
    Also select nvidia as your gpu in nvidia settings->physX.
    Hope that helped you.
  • GeorgeAlGeorgeAl Posts: 2Member New User
    You can download a program to monitor your pc, that will help you find out what the problem is so it will be easier to fix it. I'm using msi afterburner for ex that can show you your gpu usage, cpu usage, temps, clock speeds, ram and vram usage, etc. Also, try NVIDIA control panel-> manage 3D settings -> program settings and there on the list on #1 select your game (far cry for ex). After that, on #2 make sure that your NVIDIA gpu is selected. For example on my acer laptop, while all games were running on NVIDIA gpu, when i downloaded Skyrim, the recommended gpu was intel integrated gpu.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online206

Acer-Harvey
Acer-Harvey
AKhan
AKhan
belik
belik
Blazemon234
Blazemon234
Bounthy
Bounthy
edu2747
edu2747
Gawain
Gawain
Grimlock
Grimlock
HARUIZA
HARUIZA
Jack22
Jack22
jd63636
jd63636
Jhjh6980
Jhjh6980
khanX2
khanX2
laurent_14
laurent_14
QueenLilith
QueenLilith
TECH_MAN
TECH_MAN
+190 Guests

Join in, share your experience!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Here?

So, what are the rules of this place? Check out our Acer Community User Agreement. Register to get all the benefits of being a member! Get social and introduce yourself in our Welcome Forum, or learn about our ACE Program and What's Happening at Acer.

Intel Extreme KAtowise 2019
Predator Join the forum discussions on our
Predator line of products.
Find out about the Acer ACE program.