Acer Warranty for laptops...

Options
illenic
illenic Member Posts: 64 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
hey guys, I called acer recently to get some info on this but it really didn’t seem like the rep understood what I meant. I would just like to know if anybody knows for sure if redoing the thermal paste for the CPU will void the warranty? I’ve read countless times that the factory thermal paste is garbage and I’d like to replace it with something good. Also could the same paste be used on the GPU as well? Thank you very much guys! 😁

Answers

• illenic
    Options
    would MX-2 be good enough on a 7700HQ? or MX-4 or better? ive got a tube of MX-2 lying around but im not sure if its good enough, or if itll even void my warranty.. anyways just thinking out loud here! thanks guys!
  • Skelomorph
    Options
    Ok we will go in order:

For re-pasting, I spoke with Acer-Manny and re-pasting can be used as a reason for refusing to provide service. I also have saw a message from someone from Acer Support stating re-pasting the CPU does not void warranty so long as it doesn't cause damage. In truth, it is completely unknown, and so far I have not saw anyone who re-pasted send their laptop in for service yet. That is when I guess we will find out.

The thermal paste will be applied to both the CPU and GPU dies.

Good will find comparisons of MX-2 vs MX-4. It seems MX-4 has a couple better benefits over MX-2:

• MX-4 is thinner, and easier to clean compared to MX-2.
    • MX-4 has lower temperatures compared to MX-2.
    • MX-4 is easier to supply than MX-2 due to thinkness of the paste.
    • MX-2 is in your possession.
    Some like MX-2, but the proof is MX-4 is better in almost every aspect. I advise do what you think you should. Likely it wont matter, but you will see an overall better experience using MX-4.

Sorry I couldn't really answer your question about warranty, but there is not really one.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • illenic
    Options
    No need to apologize!! Your answer was great! I appreciate all that you’ve given me to be honest I think I’m just going to wait for my warranty to be up before I do any repaste, I don’t wanna give them an excuse not to help me if I ever need to use my warranty. As for the paste I will most likely get something better than mx-2 as my acer is a lot more powerful than the pc I used the mx-2 with. Is there any other paste that u recommend that is excellent for reducing temps and that will last a good while? Thank you soo much!! 
  • Skelomorph
    Options
    This is a sticky post I made in the Predator Laptops section. I should really see about getting it pinned elsewhere since the information is relevant for most mid-high range laptops.

Take a look at getting a cooling pad, and undervolting to help control temperatures.

What parts does your laptop have? Down at the Credits there is a link to a Predator Helios Facebook page that you could probably get you into that talks about a lot of this stuff. Most predators have the i5-7300HQ or the i7-7700HQ with a GTX 1050Ti, 1060, 1070, and even a few with a 1080.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • illenic
    Options
    Ok great thanks!!! And I’ve got the 7700HQ I7 and the GTX1050ti
  • illenic
    Options
    I’ve actually already undervolted my laptop it has helped a bit but I’d like to do the repasting as well to get the temps down a little bit more 
  • ダージリン様
    ダージリン様 Member Posts: 88 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    I repasted my vx15 using Thermal Grizzly Krynout , its drop my temps from 96 to 78-+
  • illenic
    Options
    Ok that’s pretty good how long has it been since you repasted? Is that stuff thick enough for laptop heatsink so it won’t leak out under higher temps and when ever you travel with your laptop?
  • ダージリン様
    ダージリン様 Member Posts: 88 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    illenic said:
    Ok that’s pretty good how long has it been since you repasted? Is that stuff thick enough for laptop heatsink so it won’t leak out under higher temps and when ever you travel with your laptop?
    around 2/3 month maybe... yes 
  • illenic
    Options
    thanks! i appreciate the input