G9-791 - SSD M2 Slots

Schmigal
Schmigal Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Ok, I know from reading on here that the bottom M2 slot works with a SATA or PCIe M2 Hard Drive.  The LITEON CV1-8B128 that came with the laptop is in the bottom M2 slot.  I put in a new WDS512G1X0C PCIe M2 in to the top slot and the BIOS is not seeing it. I assume do to the fact that it is not a PCIe slot. So I tried to move the old SATA M2 from the bottom slot to the top slot and the new M2 in the bottom slot but then the laptop would not boot saying there was no boot Drive. I was hoping that the BIOS would find the old SATA drive in either slot but it did not.   Does anyone have any other ideas on how I could Clone the old drive to the new drive so when I put the new drive in the bottom slot it will be found as the boot drive and boot the computer?   I have extra 2.5 HHD's that I could clone the old M2 drive to but then not sure how I could then clone that to the new M2 without the Bios seeing it. Thanks

Answers

• Schmigal
    edited March 2019
    Thanks for your response, but the main problem is that the new M2 is not seen in the BIOS so it wont then be seen by anything else, disk manager, or any partition software.  I am wondering if there is some MB setting to turn on the 2nd M2 connection or Some setting in the BIOS.  The BIOS for this laptop does not seem to have many options and several of those that are there cannot be tabbed to to see what other options are possible.  To get into the BIOS I press the "F2" key.  Are there any other "F" keys that can be pressed to see more settings?    Like I said above, I know that the new M2 PCIe drive will only work in the bottom M2 slot but my old drive should work in either slot. But it will also not work in the top slot (SATA Only) but works fine in the bottom slot which can run either a SATA or PCIe SSD. so at this point I am trying to determine what needs to be done to make my old drive work in the "Top Slot" so that I can put the new drive in the "Bottom Slot" to see if it can then been seen but when I place the old SSD in the top slot, laptop says it has no bootable device or drive, I have attached pictures of my BIOS hopping someone can spot a possible issue. The 1st 4 pictures are with the old SATA SSD in the bottom Slot and the new PCIe SSD in the top slot.  The last 3 pictures are with the new PCIe SSD in the bottom slot and the old SATA SSD in the top slot so bot times what ever is in the top slot does not show.  So I feel that I need to somehow be able to turn on the top slot but do not know how to do that. Does anyone know how to do that?

[Edited by Acer-David ]
  • Hi,
    I am not familiar with RAID mode, please wait for someone else to chime in, in the meantime please check @IronFly's  solution for similar situation in this thread:
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/494000/predator-g9-793-78cm-disable-raid-0
  • Schmigal
    UPDATE:

Well I think I have gotten past 1 hurdle.  I was able to change the BIOS SATA setting from RAID0 to RHCI using the which I found online Windows 10 has an override option so it will reinstall storage drivers.

01. Open regedit and navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storhci\StartOverride
        02. There you will find a DWORD value 003, Double click on this and change the data value from 3 to 0
        04. Reboot your machine
        05. Set the SATA mode to AHCI and then let Windows boot.

After this I now see 3 HDD entries in the BIOS where before I could just see 2 HDD entries. But the new 3rd entry for disk HDD 1 has no name next to it and it is still not showing up in Device Manager of Computer Manager like I was hoping it would.
    So still looking for how I can see it in Windows so that I can then clone it to the new HDD 0 so it would be the new boot disk.

• Unforgiven91
    Unforgiven91 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Schmigal said:
    Ok, I know from reading on here that the bottom M2 slot works with a SATA or PCIe M2 Hard Drive.  The LITEON CV1-8B128 that came with the laptop is in the bottom M2 slot.  I put in a new WDS512G1X0C PCIe M2 in to the top slot and the BIOS is not seeing it. I assume do to the fact that it is not a PCIe slot. So I tried to move the old SATA M2 from the bottom slot to the top slot and the new M2 in the bottom slot but then the laptop would not boot saying there was no boot Drive. I was hoping that the BIOS would find the old SATA drive in either slot but it did not.   Does anyone have any other ideas on how I could Clone the old drive to the new drive so when I put the new drive in the bottom slot it will be found as the boot drive and boot the computer?   I have extra 2.5 HHD's that I could clone the old M2 drive to but then not sure how I could then clone that to the new M2 without the Bios seeing it. Thanks
    Where did you buy the m.2 extender for the second m.2 slot?
  • EPY
    EPY Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hy, I have the same problem, second ssd m.2 is not show/work. do you did find any solution ? I want to instal 3 ssd in my laptop but second slot m.2 did not work with any ssd. i have tried m.2 sata ssd and m.2 pcie ssd and nothing :(   ------ My laptop Acer Predator G9-791-----
  • DJRicoche
    DJRicoche Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Unforgiven91  said:
    Where did you buy the m.2 extender for the second m.2 slot?
    You can find it online. I Googled "Acer second m.2 bracket" - it doesn't include a screw though apparently