EMachines E525 - Unable to restore to factory settings

Jim_3000
Jim_3000 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi :)

I have an E Machines E525 which I am trying to restore to factory settings. I used the preinstalled recovery manager which worked fine. I then started it back up, downloaded and ran Active@ to wipe the hard drive and tried to run the recovery manager again (to make sure it starts up 'as new').

Now I am getting the error message "Hard driver configuration is not set to the factory default. Restore aborted."

I've tried rebooting and scheduling disk repair on startup (it always freezes at 90%). The file system is currently NTFS; I assume it was NTFS previously as well. Oh and it's running
Windows Vista Home Basic.

Can anyone give me any ideas about how to get the hard drive back to factory settings?

Thanks!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

Jim_3000 

This may be caused by having resized disk partitions by a third party software, so the system disk layout has been changed.

To fix it, first of all, it is recommended to use system file scanner to check any files that may be corrupted (and most of these are normally fixed by sfc): Press Windows key + X, select ‘Command prompt (Admin)’. Enter the following command “sfc /scannow” (without quotes) and the system will start scanning the system. Wait until it finishes.

Then, follow the following:
    CMD (Admin) > “diskpart” > “list disk” > “select disk #” > “list partition”

You see recovery partitions flagged as OEM, so what we do is to set the id according to the GUID (Global Unique Identifier) system. Selected every partition with an OEM type and change their ID's to DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC.

Eg. > “select part 1” > set id = "de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"

The issue should be solved then. Now you can try system refresh/reinstall to factory settings (or create a recovery media).

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Jim_3000
    Jim_3000 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Sharanji said:

Jim_3000 

This may be caused by having resized disk partitions by a third party software, so the system disk layout has been changed.

To fix it, first of all, it is recommended to use system file scanner to check any files that may be corrupted (and most of these are normally fixed by sfc): Press Windows key + X, select ‘Command prompt (Admin)’. Enter the following command “sfc /scannow” (without quotes) and the system will start scanning the system. Wait until it finishes.

Then, follow the following:
    CMD (Admin) > “diskpart” > “list disk” > “select disk #” > “list partition”

You see recovery partitions flagged as OEM, so what we do is to set the id according to the GUID (Global Unique Identifier) system. Selected every partition with an OEM type and change their ID's to DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC.

Eg. > “select part 1” > set id = "de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"

The issue should be solved then. Now you can try system refresh/reinstall to factory settings (or create a recovery media).

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Thanks for the advice!

However, when I tried to reboot I got the message 'missing operating system'. I'm just going to assume the hard disk is completely knackered and swap it out for a new one.

Cheers anyway! :)
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,476 Trailblazer
    >>>I'm just going to assume the hard disk is completely knackered >>>

To confirm this assumption, you might want to check BIOS menu INFO to see that the HDD is no longer recognised/identified. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ