Acer VX15-591G Screen Upgrade

Piliip
Piliip Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2018 in Aspire Laptops
I'm planning to upgrade the screen of my laptop. I've seen similar questions being posted here, and after searching around and reading a lot about which displays would be compatible I think I've made my decision. However, I just want to make sure the screen I want to buy really is compatible!

Right now I have the N156HGE-EAL screen, and I'm not really satisfied. So I've made this comparison on Panelook (http://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=31629,29824,32204,33006,24666). The one that seems best to me is the AUO B156HAN04.5, however I'm not sure that it's compatible since the old screen is a 6-bit screen and the new one would be 8-bit (which allows for more colors, which is awesome). Also the B156HAN04.5 operates on 120hz while the old screen operates on 60hz. Would this cause any problems or can I just install the screen successfully? The same question kinda applies to the B156HAN04.2, only with this screen the Signal Pin Configuration also differs slightly from the screen I have currently, does this mean this screen is not compatible?

In case both those screens are not compatible with my laptop, could somebody advise me on the other two screens in the comparison above (the NV156FHM-N61 and LTN156HL06-C01)? Would those two screens then be better, and why?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Cheers!

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,083 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    Acer recommends 1920x1080 @ 60Hz frequency for this model, there are two scenarios if you install a 120Hz screen,
    1. It may not work at all due to BIOS restriction.
    2. It may work but the screen will produce more heat and the battery usage time will be reduced.

I think the BOE screens and the Samsung screen will work but please make sure the connector position of the NV156FHM-N61 is same as other screens with the retailer, mostly it should be fine but for some reason Panelook left it blank.
    http://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=24666,29824,26390,26689

• Israelzinho
    Israelzinho Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi Piliip!

Have you upgraded your VX5 screen? If yes, which screen model you installed on it?
  • jaycoolet
    jaycoolet Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited April 2018
    Hello brummyfan2

I have the same TN panel with Philip and planning to upgrade mine with an IPS. 
    So this is my question. The only panel available in my country is B156HAN04.0 HW0A, is it compatible with my 

Acer VX15-591G? if yes, i will buy right away.

Thanks in advance.

• xThomasM
    xThomasM Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi @Piliip,

Have you upgraded to a 120hz on this laptop? I saw a video on Linus Tech Tips about upgrading a Helios 300 and got interested in doing something like that on my VX5.

I guess I'll try it anyway, but if you did tried, let us know, please!

Thanks.
  • Piliip
    Piliip Member Posts: 2 New User
    xThomasM said:
    Hi @Piliip,

Have you upgraded to a 120hz on this laptop? I saw a video on Linus Tech Tips about upgrading a Helios 300 and got interested in doing something like that on my VX5.

I guess I'll try it anyway, but if you did tried, let us know, please!

Thanks.

Hey man!

No, I actually haven't replaced my screen at all in the end, went for a ram-upgrade instead. Still planning on replacing the current TN-panel for an IPS-panel at some point though, however as my funds are low at the moment, this will need to wait as I have other priorities at the moment.

If you do replace your panel for a 120hz one, please let me know if it works as I'm still very curious whether this is possible!

Good luck mate!
  • xThomasM
    edited November 2018
    @Piliip worked like a charm boyyzzzz!

I just got the screen that i bought off AliExpress (B156HAN04.5 15.6" - $ 90), installed and it worked!
    I had to install the Custom Resolution Utility so I could create the custom 1920 x 1080 - 120 hz resolution, restarted the computer, and now i have 120 hz on my VX15!

And the best part: I did not lose the ability to control the brightness of the screen (manually or using the buttons on the keyboard). Thats huge, for what I undestand from seeing other people that changed their displays.

• kynoob
    kynoob Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

xThomasM said:

I just got the screen that i bought off AliExpress (B156HAN04.5 15.6" - $ 90), installed and it worked!
    I had to install the Custom Resolution Utility so I could create the custom 1920 x 1080 - 120 hz resolution, restarted the computer, and now i have 120 hz on my VX15!

And the best part: I did not lose the ability to control the brightness of the screen (manually or using the buttons on the keyboard). Thats huge, for what I undestand from seeing other people that changed their displays.

sorry to bump this old thread, but i want to do something like this with my vx15 too. has there been any issues in using the laptop since you installed it? e.g. overheating, just doesnt work etc. i also heard that "laptops continue to supply the battery/adapter voltage to the backlight circuit even when the computer is powered off, therefore LCD connector is not supposed to be disconnected or connected when there is live voltage on it, there is a risk of shorting out and damaging both the motherboard, and/or LCD when doing it, because the connector of that type does not guarantee that all of its pins will be aligned properly until inserted fully", so will i have to disassemble the whole laptop to get this screen fixed or is just the screen fine? thanks in advance!
  • xThomasM
    edited June 2019
    kynoob said:
    sorry to bump this old thread, but i want to do something like this with my vx15 too. has there been any issues in using the laptop since you installed it? e.g. overheating, just doesnt work etc. i also heard that "laptops continue to supply the battery/adapter voltage to the backlight circuit even when the computer is powered off, therefore LCD connector is not supposed to be disconnected or connected when there is live voltage on it, there is a risk of shorting out and damaging both the motherboard, and/or LCD when doing it, because the connector of that type does not guarantee that all of its pins will be aligned properly until inserted fully", so will i have to disassemble the whole laptop to get this screen fixed or is just the screen fine? thanks in advance!
    @kynoob since the replacement I did not have any issues! The only thing is that the battery drains faster than before. But that was expected, and for me it isn't a problem, because I always use the laptop with the charger connected. I guess it lasts up to 3 hours max when the screen is at 120 hz.

The installation process is very simple, you only disassemble the screen. Here's a video of the laptop having the screen replaced, for guidance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JY2JZyv97Q
  • Edric
    Edric Member Posts: 1 New User
    xThomasM said:

Hey mate, I installed the B156han04.5 panel a few days back and I would like to ask if you installed any additional drivers for the screen. For me I can't control the brightness of it whatsoever. Thanks in advance! 
  • Koko_19
    Koko_19 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Hello, i want to upgrade the screen on my Aspire V5-591G from tn to ips.
    My laptop model is:
    Acer Aspire VX5-591G-73JE
    S/N: NHGM2EX019651022493400
    Screen Panel: NT156FHM-N41 
    I want to replace it with this one: NV156FHM-N4B. I want to ask is someone get that screen on this laptop and are they fully compatible? He is IPS, 144hz, and i don't know is there will be any problem because mine is 60hz.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer
    It should fit and work at maximum 60hz refresh rate if it's size is close to the following dimension in mm. 359.5 (H) x 223.8 (V) x 3.8 (D).

Jack E/NJ

• Koko_19
    Koko_19 Member Posts: 5 New User
    I don't need a 144hz refresh rate, i just want to use it because other advantages, like 8 bit per primary color and 16.7M true colors, 1200 contrast ratio, and 100% sRGB coverage. Is this possible on 60hz? Here is comparison of both https://m.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=34862,27048.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer
    I doubt that you'll see much difference between the two except viewing angle is bettter above ~30° for the IPS and maybe contrast better for the sRGB. TN color purity is pretty good vs most IPS screens. Neither are as capable in displayi ng color vividness, purity & contrast as an OLED screen.

Jack E/NJ