No sound on Aspire E5-552

Options
ems68
ems68 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I've got no sound on my laptop.  There's a red circle with a white cross next to the speaker icon on the bottom left of the screen.  If I click on the speaker icon it tries to start the audio service, after some time I get a troubleshooter message that says 'one or more audio service isn't running' and 'not fixed'.
I've looked through the forum and I've tried removing and re-installing the Realtek driver, and both Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder are set to automatic - but not running.
If I try to start Windows Audio I get Error 1086:  The dependency service or group failed to start.
If I try to start Windows Audio Endpoint Builder I get Error 126:  The specified module could not be found.

The OS is Windows 10 Home v1709
Bios V1.10

I would be grateful for any suggestions to help resolve this problem.
Thanks

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    ems68 

While the new update offered many new features and improvements, it was also packed with many conflicts.
    Please perform the steps listed as workarounds. 
    1) Press Windows + S to launch the search menu of your start bar. Type “system” in the dialogue box and select the first item which returns in the result.
    >Once in the system, click on “Advanced system settings” present at the left side of the screen.
    >Navigate to the Hardware tab and click on “Device Installation Settings”.
    >Select the option of “No (your device might not work as expected)”. Press Save changes and exit. This will disable the Windows update from updating your audio drivers automatically.

>Now press Windows + X to launch the quick start menu and select “Device Manager” from the list of options available.
    Once in the Device manager, expand “Sound, video and game controllers” category. Right-click on your sound device and select “Uninstall device”.
    Check the uninstall driver checkbox to uninstall the driver as well and proceed with the uninstallation.

>Once the device is uninstalled, right click on any empty space on the Device manager and select “Scan for hardware changes”. Your computer will now detect the audio hardware on your computer and automatically install the default drivers present on your computer.

Now check if this brings any difference. Also, reboot your machine after the installation of default drivers.

2) Download the audio driver.
    >Now press Windows + X to launch the quick start menu and select “Device Manager” from the list of options available.
    Once in the Device manager, expand “Sound, video and game controllers” category.
    >Right-click on your sound device and select “Update Driver”. Now an option will come forth whether to install the drivers automatically or manually. Select “Browse my computer for driver software”.
    >Now select “Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer”.
    >Uncheck the option “show compatible hardware” to ensure that all the results are listed in your drivers list. Navigate through all the drivers until you find “High Definition Audio Device”. Select it and press Next.
    >Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation. Restart your computer and check if the problem is solved.

Reboot your computer completely and check if the problem is resolved.  Let us know how it goes.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • ems68
    ems68 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Thanks for your help.  I followed all the steps but it's still the same, unfortunately.
  • bricole
    bricole Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Sharanji THANK YOU so much, I did step 1 you so clearly described and after restarting, boum it all works!! Pain free, and I learned some very useful tricks along the way, huge thanks!