USB ports not recognizing my wireless mouse Acer Aspire ES1-531

mskelli326
mskelli326 Member Posts: 22

Tinkerer

edited July 2022 in Aspire Laptops
I have an Acer Aspire ES1-531. I have been using an HP wireless mouse with it since I bought the laptop a year ago. Yesterday, all of a sudden, the mouse stopped working. I changed batteries and tried the receiver in all 3 ports and the mouse still doesn't work. The mouse will work on other computers though.  I went into device manager and it shows my new mouse (.. ONN 2.4 MHz wireless mouse) as a mouse 3 or something like that and even the new mouse does NOT work.  I've even tried plugging in a wired mouse and my Acer does not recognize it.  It keeps saying no driver. It is saying there is no driver installed for the old or the new mouse.  I've been searching like crazy to find a driver for this wireless mouse.  I have no clue what else to do and I work from my computer and desperately need the wireless mouse and would appreciate your help. Thank you very much

{ edited the title to add the model name ) 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Open Control Panel. Search "restore point". Check for the first automatic Win10 restore point with a datestamp before yesterday. If it exists, back up your personal stuff that you created since that restore point datestamp on a usb stick. Then restore your system to that restore point date.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mskelli326

Tinkerer

I don't have a restore point...when I put that in the search box of control panel, I only have System (create a restore point), Backup & Restore (Windows 7) with choices of Back & Resotre (Win 7) or Restore data, files, or computer from backup (Win 7) and Ease of Access Center
  • JackE
    In Win7, you must click on a section entitled "restore system files and settings from restore point" and proceed till you come to a box like the one shown below. Unlike Win10, you should see many Win7 update restore points with date stamps---creating automatic restore points should be set as a default for Win7 updates. If not, checkmark the small box (encircled in red) to show more restore points. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mskelli326

Tinkerer

Awesome, when I get off work, I will check into this and report back. Thank you so much
  • mskelli326

Tinkerer

Oh wait, my system is Win 10
  • JackE
    >>>Oh wait, my system is Win 10 >>>

Look for more restore points anyway. Was your machine originally a factory Win8.1? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mskelli326

Tinkerer

no it was an original win10

• JackE
    OK. We may have to try a re-set if you can't find any automatic Win10update restore points. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mskelli326

Tinkerer

OK, how would I go about doing that?
  • JackE
    This is a major re-set so you should back up any personal files on a stick even though you should have options to retain them. First, turn off the machine. Then turn the machine back on and ****immediately**** press & hold the ALT key while continuously tapping the F10 key. Then follow this video. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuljT0a8F7I

Jack E/NJ

• mskelli326

Tinkerer

OK, I just completed backing up my info on a flash drive and now going to follow your instructions.
  • JackE
    Good luck. Get back to us with results cuz you're gonna have to make sure restore points are automatically created this time. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mskelli326

Tinkerer

Absolutely

• mskelli326

Tinkerer

OK, before I go further, my computer has been re-set and it asked me to login.  I did that and in the lower right taskbar, there is an icon that says "software not set up"   where do I go next ?  I don't want to mess anything up before  I check for a restore point.
  • mskelli326

Tinkerer

The reset has been done, now it's my turn to do the rest of it correctly and I don't want to do it wrong. I so greatly appreciate your help!
  • JackE
    >>>"software not set up">>>

That's all there is? No "next" or "ok" or "cancel" or "go back" or "anything else" buttons? Right now, let's not worry about a "restore point" until the software and drivers are setup so you're actually up and running and connected to the internet. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mskelli326

Tinkerer

It went through all the steps, cortana walked ;me through my location and that stuff. So now I have a mostly bare desktop.  I'm thinking there is a major next step but I don't know what it is
  • mskelli326

Tinkerer

And I am connected to the internet
  • JackE
    Do you have a start button? Or can you find Control Panel? We need to open Control Panel, search for "restore point" and create a restore point before Win10 has a chance update the machine from the internet and screw it up again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mskelli326

Tinkerer

Yes let me get there real quick and I will let you know what it says