Acer 5560-Sb653 Compatible Upgrades

Options
peptobismal
peptobismal Member Posts: 31 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Okay, so taking into account that this is a "legacy" laptop, I don't want to hear about the risks involved in upgrading and so forth. A lot of the ports are rather loose... the USB's are tolerable, but the Ethernet port being loose sucks due to having gigabit Internet and getting randomly dropped connections. So, I plan to get in and either replace the motherboard OR tighten them up a bit. Also, I feel like a proper cleaning of anything built up over time would be good.

It's really extremely hard to Google and find reliable answers to everything inside this laptop since it is an OEM. I am assuming that the motherboard cannot support DDR3-1600, since the 2x4GB Kingston I upgraded to have down clocked to 1333MHz, with really improper timings which seems to show prominent at random times; however, mostly stays stable. I have read that the A6's and the A8's all support DDR3 at both 1600MHz and 1333MHz. So I am assuming that the motherboard does not have native support for these frequencies? Anyone got a good link with in-depth specs on this board? I have only been able to find specs with very, uh, remedial specs.

Okay, so that is the RAM issue... now the real question. So, I am deciding on a new APU for this device... now, I notice that the A8's that are also featured in other versions of this model have better graphics chipset with a 444MHz clock. (All benchmarks are showing much better results, too.)  So, two questions, that assuming the above motherboard specs cannot be found, will this board support the 45W TDP and will all other components handle it? Assuming I am stuck with the A8's or A6's; however, seeing as I already have an A6-3400m I see no advantageous reason to "upgrade" within the A6's other than a 100-200MHz.

TL;DR:
Base:
- Aspire 5560-Sb653
Upgrades:
- Crucial 256Gig BX100 SSD; 2x4GB Kingston DDR3-1600MHz.
Potential Upgrades:
- A6-3400m -> A8... 35W or 45W?
Issues:
- RAM Clock speeds capped at 1333MHz due to board, APU...?
- Will board/components handle 45W TDP?

-EDIT-
Oh and also on the Drivers and Downloads page there is a BIOS upgrade that "Supports AMD Radeon HD 7670M Graphics." However, even the A10's only have a 7660G... so is this for dual graphics support? Is this even actually supposed to be in there?

Answers