Acer Spin-5 USB-C port

freko
freko Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi All
I am the proud owner of that laptop.
I have 2 questions regarding the USB-C port that is provided with that machine:

-Can it be used for charging the laptop itself? If yes is there any specific charger i should buy? I have tried with a regular USB-C charger from a talet but it seems that it is not working.
-Can i buy one of those docks/extender that could transform an USB-C port to an RJ45/HDMI/More USBs? I am definitely interessted in adding RJ45 via USB-C

Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited February 2018 Answer ✓

Can say I have both a Targus and a Mediasonic and both work fine. My laptops can connect to dual 27" 1920x1040s, gigabit etherlink, and have a number of USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. I even used one to connect a 64GB flash drive to a 32gb tab when Windows complained it needed more space for an update. You may need to download the Displaylink drivers from either the device manufacture's website or from displaylink.com

BTW, if you shop there are A Lot of docks. First thing I look for is it a real dual display and not just mirrored. Second, how big is the power supply, look for at least 30W.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Dock is not supported.
    yes, you can charge it - 20V@2.25A =  45W
    Display port is supported

this is the official statement.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • freko

Tinkerer

IronFly said:
    Dock is not supported.
    yes, you can charge it - 20V@2.25A =  45W
    Display port is supported

this is the official statement.
    Hi @IronFly
    Thanks a lot for your answers.
    So what are my options here to add an ethernet port?
    Also which adapter would you advise if you know one of course for using the usb-c port for charging?
    Thanks in advance
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    i don't have experience on USB-C chargers or ethernet adapters, sorry.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett
    Why hung on USB-C ? USB 3.0 docks with Ethernet ports (RJ45) and dual displays have been around for years.
  • freko

Tinkerer

padgett said:
    Why hung on USB-C ? USB 3.0 docks with Ethernet ports (RJ45) and dual displays have been around for years.
    Hi @padgett
    Thanks for your answer
    Would you advise one of those docks?
    I wanted to use USB-C port as charger+dock (as Mac are doing) but apparently it is not possible
  • padgett
    edited February 2018 Answer ✓

Can say I have both a Targus and a Mediasonic and both work fine. My laptops can connect to dual 27" 1920x1040s, gigabit etherlink, and have a number of USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. I even used one to connect a 64GB flash drive to a 32gb tab when Windows complained it needed more space for an update. You may need to download the Displaylink drivers from either the device manufacture's website or from displaylink.com

BTW, if you shop there are A Lot of docks. First thing I look for is it a real dual display and not just mirrored. Second, how big is the power supply, look for at least 30W.

• freko

Tinkerer

padgett said:

Hi @padgett
    Sorry for the delayed answer.

Many thanks for your suggestions; i will look into one of those docks

Thanks again