XB271HU - screen briefly and randomly turns off (half second sort of thing)

Options
doc81
doc81 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited January 23 in 2018 Archives
Very, very odd issue.

Bought my XB271HU a month ago - pretty nice piece of hardware, though pricey.

Recently - and this is very strange - it will sometimes go 'blackscreen' very quickly, for a half-second or so, sometimes when I stand up to move away from the computer, and other times at random, before going back to what looks like normal. I thought I was going crazy, but Googling showed some other people with this issue too. Possible issues that people talked about were electrostatic discharge, a bad DP cable, general hardware fault, or a driver issue (Nvidia).

It seems (I could be wrong) to have started after a recent NVidia driver update, but my memory could be wrong.

As a few notes:

- The connection/cable seems fine; I even tried a higher-end aftermarket DP cable to see if the stock ACER one was the issue, and the problem actually became worse.
- The monitor has not been hit or bumped excessively at all, so I doubt any physical damage has occurred.
- The suddent-blackscreen-then-normal-again incidents remind me almost of what it looks like when a driver fails or installs - a brief flash of black for a half second, then the display comes back.

My main question is whether this is likely hardware or software related. I already returned one of these to Amazon for extreme IPS backlight bleed; this one looks really good, and I'd hate to return it unless there's absolutely definitely something wrong with it on the hardware end. I only have a few days to return this for free to Amazon should this be a hardware issue, otherwise it's ACER RMA, or hope this is a software/simple issue that doesn't require repair/replacement.

Anyone heard of anything like this or have any experience that's similar?

Answers

• Lazeman
    Lazeman Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Interestingly I also bought my Predator ZB271HU ca one month ago and I do experience the same phenomen you describe.
    I have no idea why this happends.
    It´s very fast, as you mentioned - ca 1/2 second. And it comes totally iregulary.

Does anyone know why we experience this? It´s quite frustrating.

I did play Star Citizen Alpha 3.0.1 when I first noticed the problem. It happend quite often in the game.
    However the same "blackscreens" occurs randomly, albeit not as often as when playing Star Citizen, in Windows desktop, Google Chrome etc.

I have a MSI GTX 1080 Gamix X grapics card, using Geforce latest released driver and now the 2:nd latest released driver.

I have tried to completely erase the Gefore drive in Windows Safe mode by using "Display Driver Uninstaller", in short called "DDU". I then rebooted into normal Windows mode and reinstalled the Geforce driver. I also tried to install the 2:nd most recent driver, 390.65

I have also installed driver for the Acer XB271HU display via Windows Control panel - unit manager - screen - properties - update driver local and directed to a folder with driver I downloaded from Acer.

Thank you in advance.
    With best regards
  • Lazeman
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Doc81:
    - Did you change to/buy another Displayport cabel?

I did since the Displayport cabel that came with the Predator XB271HU was a too short for me.
    Have now read in different forums reports from users having different problems when using a certain DP-cabel, in some cases when using high hz-settings.

To rule out cabel problem I am now using the cabel that came with the XB271HU, again.
    Will let you know in a few days if the problem is solved by this.
    (I bought a 3 m cabel, Deltaco DP-1030, which should conform to Displayport 1.2 and should be fine for 1440p@144hz. But you never know).

With best regards.

• Lazeman
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Doc81: I have now used the cable that came with the XB271HU a few days. So far no "blackscreens" occurred since I changed to that cable.
    Will perhaps try to buy a second other cable that is confirmed to work with 1440p/144hz. If I do this I will tell the outcome here.
    With best regards.