Applying Thermal paste | Helios 300

idleguy1337
idleguy1337 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
So, I got MX-4 thermal paste, as some of the members told me it was good for that laptop so I brought it. 
I watched that  tutorial of how to apply thermal paste on Helios 300, but I don't have some of things he's using in this video and I wanna know some things. 

I don't have ArcticClean thermal surface purifier and can I apply thermal paste after only cleaning with alcohol ? 
also should I change thermal pads too? I don't have any for replacement and will it harm the laptop if I won't change?  

Answers

• asad814
    asad814 Member Posts: 371 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    use alcohol and paper towel for cleaning and dont change thermal pads just change your thermal solution
  • idleguy1337
    asad814 said:
    use alcohol and paper towel for cleaning and dont change thermal pads just change your thermal solution
    Thank you.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    I actually made the video.

Alternatively you can use 90% + isopropyl rubbing alcohol to clean cpu/gpu.

The rubbing alcohol will evaporate itself leaving no residual to damage any components.

The thermal pads are a bit more tricky and if you decide to do it (the ones installed are fine I'm just ocd) then be mindful that some are 1.0mm while others are 1.5mm.

Cheers.
    - Hotel Hero
  • idleguy1337
    Red-Sand said:
    I actually made the video.

Alternatively you can use 90% + isopropyl rubbing alcohol to clean cpu/gpu.

The rubbing alcohol will evaporate itself leaving no residual to damage any components.

The thermal pads are a bit more tricky and if you decide to do it (the ones installed are fine I'm just ocd) then be mindful that some are 1.0mm while others are 1.5mm.

Cheers.
    Oh, thanks for it then ^_^ 

umm... don't think  that I can get that alcohol in my country... so can I use "drinking" alcohol for cleaning? :/ 

thank you.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I don't know if drinking alcohol will work as it could contain other substances that may potentially be harmful. You can use sergical spirit, which you can purchase from a pharmacy or isopropyl rubbing alcohol as red-sand mentioned from the nearest supermarket/online store.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• aks895
    aks895 Member Posts: 38 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    How about using nail polish remover

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I don't think it is a good idea to use nail plish remover, as it contains acetone, which I think could be harmful.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• idleguy1337
    I changed Thermal Paste and there are some changes in temperatures :) thank you so much @Red-Sand

I used surgical spirit with 95% alcohol for cleaning and it worked well. 
    When I was playing Overwatch CPU temperatures were reaching 92C on medium graphics fps limit on 300, but after changing thermal paste it's not going beyond 77C.
  • tcvvieira
    tcvvieira Member Posts: 1 New User
    qual o tamanho dos thermal pads pra usar no helios 300
  • tcvvieira said:

There are some 1.5mm and some 1.0mm (Near the GPU)
    - Hotel Hero
  • vedang55
    vedang55 Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Red-Sand said:
    tcvvieira said:

Can you please guess whats the thickness of the circled thermal pad? I think its 1mm but not quite sure.
    And btw the thermal pad was eaten by ants :anguished:

• vedang55 said:
    Red-Sand said:
    tcvvieira said:

Can you please guess whats the thickness of the circled thermal pad? I think its 1mm but not quite sure.
    And btw the thermal pad was eaten by ants :anguished:

To be honest bro if you use all 1.5mm pads and tighten down the screws real good, then use your laptop for a little while to warm up the pads then tighten again. .  You should be ok.
    - Hotel Hero